Guys with aftermarket HE

jimh

Established Member
Guys with aftermarket HE, I have a question for you

Has anybody ever data logged the iat1 and iat2 with an aftermarket heat exchanger?

I still have the factory HE. Half way through 4th gear iat1 is 92 degrees and iat2 is 141. Do the aftermarket HEs do any better?

You can see how the factory HE did on my car. Here's a log of one of my early tuning runs.

http://www.liquidresults.net/datalog.aspx

Jim

Last edited:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
What size pulley is on the car? What was outside ambient temp? I datalogged two cars on the same day, both Apten 2.80 pulley cars, one w/ stock HE, one w/ Gords HE and dual fans (mine). Conditions were 95 degrees and 95% humidity. Mine was 25 degrees cooler at idle and near redline in 3rd gear. The stock HE car was 145ish at idle and going > than 60mph.. mine was 25 cooler at both points.

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
What size pulley is on the car? What was outside ambient temp? I datalogged two cars on the same day, both Apten 2.80 pulley cars, one w/ stock HE, one w/ Gords HE and dual fans (mine). Conditions were 95 degrees and 95% humidity. Mine was 25 degrees cooler at idle and near redline in 3rd gear. The stock HE car was 145ish at idle and going > than 60mph.. mine was 25 cooler at both points.

It's got a 2.84 pulley. Outside temp was in the upper 80's? Not sure of the exact temp. And I had been driving around for a while.

What temp did yours max out at (iat2)? What was the difference between iat1 and iat2 on your car under that load?

At a little over 100MPH at WOT my iat2 temp was at 140 and my iat1 was 90. my iat temp went up about 50 degrees from iat1 to iat2. Yours only went up 25? That's great! If that's the case a good HE is definitely the way to go.

Thanks,
jim

Last edited:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
My IAT2 was 125 - 130 max pulling to redline in 3rd gear, IAT1 was upper 90's. Also, if you have a 2.84 pulley your revving that car too high, shift at 6200max for best ET.. So far my best ET is shirting at 6000.

jimh

Established Member
Thanks for the numbers. That's great.

I was only reving that high to make sure the A/F stayed consistant. I wanted to up to it to make sure my stabelized open loop 5000 - 6500 A/F is good, so I run it up to 6500 for testing. I want to get a good safe tune, then I'll tweak it a little for power.

Swervedriver

Established Member
My LFP HE full of redline & distilled water keeps my IAT2 in the 120's through a 4th gear pull on the dyno here in Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread