H pipe question

genoapb

Established Member
Ok im installing an o/r h pipe and I know I need the mil eliminators but will I need to do something about not having the rear cats as well?

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
no, hook your fronts up like normail and hook your mils into the rears and then hook them up.

genoapb

Established Member
Ok, let me more specific on the situation at hand. I originally planned on buying an off road h-pipe. One of the reasons I opted to do this was I was throwing a P1131 and some people told me it could be a bad oxygen sensor. So I figured id kill two birds with one stone and buy the mils which I assumed would eliminate the need to replace the oxygen sensor if it was indeed bad. I also gutted the cats in the meantime until I buy the offroad h-pipe. Right now this is what I have done. I gutted the cats and hooked up the mils in the rear, I plugged one end of each of the two mils into the harness and the other end into the sensors. I left the front sensors hooked up just like normal. I was hoping my check engine light would go off after hooking up the mils but it didnt. I will have my car checked for codes again asap. My question now is do the sensor all have to be good for everything to work right? Also it was my understanding that when I do buy an off road h-pipe there wont be any place to put the sensors? I am obviously not understanding something here and keep in mind this is my first mustang as well as the first time ive done any work on a newer car and im completely lost with these freaking computer cars. Im used to the old school stuff with carbs and pushrods and so im a complete newbie on this stuff. Thanks

250psd

Established Member
There will be bungs to put the 02 sensors back in the O/R H pipe, put them in and the mils in between. To clear the check engine light to see if you corrected the problem unhook the battery for 15 mins or so.

genoapb

Established Member
So if I have a bad sensor will I need to replace it or should it not matter because of the mils?

genoapb

Established Member
Ok, a few weeks ago when I had my car checked for codes the only one I got was p1131 now I just had it checked again with the mils and got p1131, p1132 and p1516. I dont know how you guys can deal with all this computer crap, only thing I can think is maybe your a younger crowd and just used to it. But for me once I get this stuff fixed this car is up for sale and im going back to old school with no computer crap on my car. Thanks for the help

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Here is a list of all the codes and what they mean: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382974

The mod motors are a little more technical than the pushrod but a little research and reading especially on this site will help you understand it better. I knew nothing about these cars until I bought one and came on here, I just had general automotive knowledge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread