H&R Race Springs and 1" Wheel Spacers on Stock Rollers

MysticRob

Established Member
All, I just picked up the following parts and I want to verify whether or not these parts will work well together on my 'vert.

I'm running the stock IRS, wheels, and tires and I'm a bit worried about rubbing, binding, etc. I do NOT want to have to roll rear fender lips, etc.

I searched but didn't see anything relevant about this particular set up.

1. H&R Race Springs (part# 51659-88)
2. H&R 1 inch rear wheel spacers (part# 4065705)

What say you all? :beer:

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
They will look great! Exact set up I'm running. You will rub. I put some nice cuts in my tires before I got my fenders rolled.

MysticRob

Established Member
Well that's not good news.

I wonder if you not having any spring isolators on yours makes any difference in rubbing. I'm going to keep the both top and bottom iso's in mine (angled driveway) and I really don't want to roll the fender lips so am now wondering what size spacers would guarantee good clearance. Anyone else have any input on a perfect setup that doesn't include rolling the lips?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Well that's not good news.

I wonder if you not having any spring isolators on yours makes any difference in rubbing. I'm going to keep the both top and bottom iso's in mine (angled driveway) and I really don't want to roll the fender lips so am now wondering what size spacers would guarantee good clearance. Anyone else have any input on a perfect setup that doesn't include rolling the lips?

Mine hit lightly on dips on the freeway. I cut the tires when I was messing around on some mountain roads. Sharp turns and body roll. Is there a reason why you don't want to roll?

MysticRob

Established Member
Mine hit lightly on dips on the freeway. I cut the tires when I was messing around on some mountain roads. Sharp turns and body roll. Is there a reason why you don't want to roll?

Mostly because I don't want to spend the time or money to get it done, nor risk jacking up the hard-to-correct paint job. Honestly, if it takes a smaller spacer, I'll just go that route. Anyone know how big a spacer I can use and NOT rub the fender? I'm guessing a 0.75" might be okay, but can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Rolling shouldnt be really spendy. More than likely less than you spent on your springs. Check into a body shop that way if they mess up the paint they have to fix it.

MysticRob

Established Member
Rolling shouldnt be really spendy. More than likely less than you spent on your springs. Check into a body shop that way if they mess up the paint they have to fix it.

Yeah, I actually looked into rolling them myself with a baseball bat or rented tool (great site here: DIY Fender Rolling : The corrected bat method - NASIOC), but I'm really just not wanting to spend any extra time or money past what I've already got into the springs and spacers.

If I can avoid rolling with just using slightly thinner spacers but still getting the rears to come out a bit, I'm all for it. I just haven't found any info on what works with the stock wheels/tires without rolling the fenders yet.

At this point I'm even wondering if I'll even need spacers if I install the Race Springs with stock wheels/tires. Just how tucked under the fenders will the stock wheels/tires be once that is done? I haven't been able to find anybody with the exact same setup since so many members change tire or wheel sizes, etc. LOL

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have 17x9 on h&r race springs with no spacers today.

Quite frankly I do not like the look. They are tucked in a mile.

The two options I considered.
1) add 20mm spacers and call it day

2) swap out rears to 17x10.5 afs replicas. Go with nitto nt555r 315/35/17. There tires are really not that big. Section width of 12.13. This should allow to avoid a spacer and rolling of the fenders.

I am going with option 2. Much more expensive but I was not comfortable with spacers over .25 inches. Plus I pick up a wider tire with better traction (except when it rains) which the car never sees.

MysticRob

Established Member

2) swap out rears to 17x10.5 afs replicas. Go with nitto nt555r 315/35/17. There tires are really not that big. Section width of 12.13. This should allow to avoid a spacer and rolling of the fenders.

I am going with option 2. Much more expensive but I was not comfortable with spacers over .25 inches. Plus I pick up a wider tire with better traction (except when it rains) which the car never sees.

Thanks for the info brother! I'm too broke to do wider wheels and tires so I guess I'll either look for 0.75" spacers or roll the fenders. I was hoping to get the springs and spacers on this weekend before our next Bay Area cruise, but that might be put on hold. :beer:

Storm728

Established Member

if you can even find a pair of the 10.5 rears. afs has had them out of stock for a good long time iirc

Users who are viewing this thread