H&R Race Springs & MM Subs

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Who has race springs on a vert? I want to put some springs on my vert, and I don't want a huge drop. The SS's put it in the weeds from what I have seen. All I see on Maximum Motorsports website is a part # for race springs on the coupe. Can these be used on the vert? Is there another part # for the vert, or can I only use the SS's? Race pn 51659.88 SS pn 51659.2

I am looking at Subframe connectors as well. I am thinking of going with Max's full length subs. I have heard many positive things about them. Should I get the full length, or are the standard connectors the way to go. Also, powdercoated or bare. Obviously I will have to cover up the welds either way. I am kind of leaning for the bare full lengths. MMFL-3B

Other things I plan on ordering are the irs bushings, uca and lca bushings. I also need to know if the spring isolators are needed. The front isolators are $27 and the rears are $30. If I don't need them, that's 60 bucks I can save. I will also order 2 irs bolts, and 2 nuts. IRS bushing pn MMIRSU-1 Control arm bushings pn 6-311-BL

I have heard that it is best to use an aluminum pinion bushing due to heat. Is this true? If so, who makes it , and where can I get one?

For the most part everyone has been saying that cc plates are not needed. I figure I will put the springs on, get an alignment and see what happens.

I know this is a lot of info at one time, but any experiences tips ideas etc. are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

:beer:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
If you don't want a huge drop "in the weeds" I would go with the SS and Urethane isolators, that gives it 1.75 up front and 1.5 out back, anything less would negate the point of lowering I would think.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I want to drop for 2 reasons. Looks obviously, and handling. These darn SS springs are on eternal backorder so I am toying with the idea of the race's. It would also be less expensive to use the race springs and stock isolators. I'm not really worried about the extra 60 for the isolators but it just doesnt make sense to me to get lower springs to put in a thicker isolator to raise it back up.

Maybe I am incorrect, that's why I ask.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I just bring up the isolator deal because I didn't think they made Race for convertibles... But I could be wrong. Just an alternate, and I belive Maximum Motorsports stocks the Supersports, they just charge an arm and a leg for shipping on them.

FKing1

Established Member
Don't settle for springs you don't really want because of availability. That's what I did and was sorry. Better to suffer and wait to get what you want. Go with the full length sub frame connect. My OP.
Fred K.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I wouldn't say the race springs are "not what I want" because I don't have any basis for comparison other than this forum. I generally like to get the best when I buy. I am willing to deal with a little more harshness in the ride for more feeedback and handling. The problem is I don't even know if you can use the race springs on a vert. I guess race and vert is an oxymoron anyway. lol

venomous99

Established Member
if you dont want a huge drop id recommend the race springs as they provide probably a 1" drop. for a race spring with higher spring rate, the ride is actually comfortable. to me if feels slightly stiffer than stock.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
will the race springs work on the convertible? mm only lists a part # for the coupe race springs, not the vert. also, are there any other advantages to using urethane spring isolators other than ride height?

venomous99

Established Member
i think with the urethane isolators your handling will be more responsive but draw back is a harsher ride.
not sure what will happen if u run the race springs on ur vert. im thinking it may lower more in the rear with all that extra equipment for the convertible top.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
On the H&R site, they say that they highly recommend high performance shocks/struts... True or not??

Edit: This is for the race springs...

Last edited:

03MUSTANGSVT

Established Member
I found that the H&R SuperSports dropped my car to low. I have issues with bottoming out. It is so low I can't even find anyone that will do a four wheel alignment on my car. Any suggestions on raising it a little?

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Originally posted by 03MUSTANGSVT
I found that the H&R SuperSports dropped my car to low. I have issues with bottoming out. It is so low I can't even find anyone that will do a four wheel alignment on my car. Any suggestions on raising it a little?

urethane insulators will raise it a bit if you don't have them already. i'm running H&R SS springs on the stock rubber ones and it's working fine. :shrug:

rb185afm

Established Member
I have the H&R Race springs on my coupe. It did basically brought the rear level with the front. It is not as low as the SS I have seen in pics and I have yet to even scrap the car in a drive way or speed bump. And I have also had 4 people in my car. I also have the MM full length sub's and they are worth every penny.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I bought the H&R SS Springs and bought the MM Polyurethane Isolators for them and put them on because everyone said the car will be slammed w/o them and the ride height would be too low and Id scrape on everything under the sun. Well after having the springs for about 4000 miles and figuring they would not be settling anymore I got brave and removed the isolators. Let me tell you, the drop actually looks a ton better now. It looks awesome! Car is lower, very even ride height (fronts a TAD lower). I dont scrape on any bumps or uneven roads either or while entering steep driveways. I can't believe I didnt do this in the first place. I would have had pics up already except for the fact that its been raining ever since I did it!

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
So no one has put the race springs on a vert yet?

Anyone have an idea where to get the alum. pinion bushing?

Users who are viewing this thread