Had broken half shaft(s)? Which tires were you running?

Broken half shafts, which tires?

• Stock type

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Drag radials (BFG, Nitto's, etc)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Slicks (et streets etc.)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

stvdman

Established Member
Just wondering if there is any corellation between broken half-shafts and a particulat kind of tire?

Last edited:

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
you should add a "no broken half-shafts" option to the poll... just to see how many people actually are breaking them. kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :D

Last edited:

jasil

Established Member
Two guys at work both broke half shafts this weekend.

Guy #1 had 2.80, superchip, catback, cai, and stock tires, this is a 10th anniv. edition, on the 3rd run shifting to second it broke.

Guy#2 had cai, catback, drag radials and broke on the launch.

Neither were running good times 12.5's-12.9's with 2.0 60' I sure wish there was a fix to this. People can say "Well, I run 11's and have not broken any", you will start to break shafts it's just a matter of time. I think more than anything it has to do with the weight of our cars and if you hop let off.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Also more importantly is how it broke.

There are people running ET streets and not breaking them because they're not letting the car hop, and there are street tire people breaking them while hopping. But I would like to see if anyones breaking them w/o hopping on streeet tires, etc..

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
broke mine at the light (in Bowling Green) with Nittos. Bounced bout twice, never had a chance to let off bofore it broke. BTW it was the right HS that broke. It would be nice to know if one side is more likely to break than the other.

cobra101

Established Member
cobra owners biggest night..hope it doesn't happen to me.

I mean we all fear this half-shaft thing. I guess the only REAL way to ensure they won't ever break again is to swap with a gt's solid axle (free mod, as most gt owners will straight-up swap for an irs).

I can't believe there are 10 people who voted already with broken shafts. I heard some were broken while the wheels were NOT hopping.

Guess I will stick my grandma launches (2.3x 60ft's) and hope for the best. I have CAI and nitto's, that's all. Best time thus far, a piss poor 13.8 at LACR (elevation). On the other hand one night there was a Z06 who only mustard up a 13.4. Seems that is the listed gapp between stock z06 and stock cobra ( 4 tenths ).

have a good one. Predator is my next MOD!

Last edited:

CobraTone

Established Member
I thought the halfshafts were supposed to be a lot stronger on the 03's. And is there anyway you can strengthen them with aftermarket parts, or is your best bet trying to eliminate wheel hop? Someone offered me there slicks to take mine on the track with, but I'm not sure if i want to risk my halfshafts, maybe I will do the granny launches too.

Users who are viewing this thread