Had some good runs with a gto tonight

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
So I was bored and decided to hit town to kill some time tonight, just to see what was happening. Got to town and nothing happened to I hit one of my turnaround spots and decided to head home. On the way back through town I wasn't paying much attention until we got fairly close to a red light and I seen what I thought was a gto. Got closer, and it was. Couldn't see the back badge but I thought it said a 6.0. I decided to follow him, and hope he dove on the highway so I could get a run or two in. He bit and dove for the highway. I followed suit and passed him in 4th gear at around 60, gooched it a little bit to see if he was game and he was. Pulled beside me so I dropped to 3rd around 60ish, and we were off. It was a real close run, I probably didn't even pull a car till close to the top of my 4th (probably 105-110mph) when we came up on traffic, so I led the way around the cars for another run around 60. Wound out 3rd and 4th, it was close again I probably didn't even have a car when I tried for 5th, which the synchro is failing and is hard to hit. He went by me when I missed so I got out of it. Even if I hit 5th though he was going to pull on me since it's a weak gear though. I eventually caught up to him, gave him the thumbs up which he responded and we went from around a 40-50 kick which I dropped to 2nd. 3 beeps and we were off again and I had probably a car to the top of my 4th which I let off since 5th was worthless. I turned off after that because we had went too far too fast. The gto dropped gears so I believe it was a 6speed, but unsure what the motor was. It was black and was probably stock, I think it *may* have had a quiet catback b/c the tips but I'm not sure.

If the guy with the gto sees this, it was fun running you, you definetly had me up top even if I used 5th gear, and maybe we can do it again some other time.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the car is a 306 with 10:1 compression along with the mods in sig. The car also went a 12.9 at 107.5 at rock sat night also.

I will also add I put my underdrive pulleys back on after running at rockingham so that was another slight mod in my favor as well, along with 2 more degrees of timing.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Very solid car...those 306 combos are popular where I live...most guys are high 12s/low 13s without any real radical setups. Very nice.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Thanks. I won't say for sure it was a 6.0 because I never got a very great look at the badge but it was a m6 gto, and it was very close. He also had to be close to stock because even a bolt on ls2 would hurt me bad. Now I just need to get some spray. :D

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I would say a stock LS2 would take a REALLY good driver and good air to keep with what you ran recently...an LS1 would take that PLUS bolt ons. A bolt on LS2 would be a good fight for you and could go either way depending on the bolt ons. Don't sell yourself short on it man.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
S8ER95Z said:
I would say a stock LS2 would take a REALLY good driver and good air to keep with what you ran recently...an LS1 would take that PLUS bolt ons. A bolt on LS2 would be a good fight for you and could go either way depending on the bolt ons. Don't sell yourself short on it man.

True. I also had a couple extra add ons since the runs that probably helped. I just have a lot of respect for the LSx series, there one of my all time favorite motors, and I know you can't ever underestimate one.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
good run, too bad u couldnt stop to talk with him after, just stuck left wondering wat he was "pushin in his goat" haha

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Lol the goats are stalking me I had one rev up on me while I was at work and right while I was leaving he revved again so I gave chase hoping he would go on the highway. :( This one had a cat-back at least, maybe even a midpipe so it may have gotten ugly for me. It was def a 6.0 though.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Nice runs!! Sounds like the pulley and timing made all the difference from running dead-even or little behind vs. getting the edge since they trap in the 107-109mph range stock.

Oh, 5th gear is an OD gear so racing in 5th is a moot point. You can/could win against a lot of cars in the 1/4 mile that would pass you once you got into 5th (C5s, M5s, etc).

Run an SRT-8 and see how you do - should be close run! Tip: Start at 70mph - it's the bottom of 3rd for the SRT-8 and rather sluggish.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
If the exhaust had 2 tips on just one side, then it was the LS1 5.7, but if the exhaust tips are on separate ends of the bumper, then it's the LS2 6.0

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
006 said:
If the exhaust had 2 tips on just one side, then it was the LS1 5.7, but if the exhaust tips are on separate ends of the bumper, then it's the LS2 6.0

It was a 6.0 then. Had an exit on each side, and reliefs in the bumper for the tips. I seen that much, I just couldn't make out the badge, I just couldn't get close enough.

I really wish we could have gotten a dig run in. The car hooks up VERY well for 245 street tires and stock suspension except kyb (lol) struts and shocks. It can cut a sub 2.0 60 with the right launch, and the first 3 gears rip very hard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread