Had the '03 for three weeks now... initial impressions

NODOZE

Established Member
Figured I'd give some stats and impressions of the car after the first three weeks of ownership. Just for fun. :D

Put 420 miles on it, has 570 total. (it's not a daily driver)
Haven't used the heat or A/C yet, even though it's been kinda cold.
Turned radio on once at dealership to make sure it worked and once to make sure it played a CD. The engine/SC is the only tunes I need :D
Highest RPM: ~4800, gradually going higher.
Broke tires loose: twice, no hop
Bone stock down to the paper filter
Waiting til 1k before I wind it up good and shift real hard. Nonetheless, I have done some lower-rev spirited driving.

Impressions (previous mustangs: 88 LX, 98GT vert, 99 Cobra coupe, current other car: 02 Maxima SE 6Spd)

Most noticable, of course, it PULLS. I mean, the 99 was fast but nowhere near the 03. My initial thought was, "this pulls like a Z06." That feeling still hasn't worn out.
Transmission is noisier but I don't care... love the six speed. Shifting is more notchy too which I like.
Suspention just seems tighter than my stock 99 suspension. Maybe it's just because the car is brand new still but the IRS doesn't seem as "junky" as the 99. The 99's was always clunking, and hopping and just felt a little more loose. The '03 seems a bit more refined.
There is still a lot of driveline slack like the 99 I had.
The drivers seat is the most confortable seat in any car I've had.
Painted calipers, nice touch.
Sounds awesome but would like a little more volume, stock.

No problems yet (knock on wood). Rattle here and there but that's to be expected.

FWIW

-Brian

ssssnake

Established Member
Congratulations Brian. You'll enjoy it more and more. I had a 99 Cobra and a 97 GT before the 03. Only one warning for ya. Foglights. Don't turn them on when it's raining - they have a tendency to crack - and enjoy! :thumbsup:

blk96SVT

Established Member
The 03's have Bilstein shocks that is one of the reasons why it probably feels better than your 99. Start driving your car man! Let the modding begin

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Yeah rattle here rattle there. I wish I could get rid of that airbag rattle on the passenger side. Everyone must know what I mean.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I love my car. I thought I had a rattle at first. Then I realized that the sound was just the acceleration making my pee brian rattle around in my skull. :D

Fordguy0915

Established Member
Cool

Glad to here that you are pleased with the car- I got mine October 30th, 2003, and still only have like 1500 miles on the clock. Wound it up a couple of times, but nothing to hard. Once she hits 1000, wind it up and shift the hell out of it. IT FEELS GOOD!! I like to think of it as THERAPY, she thinks of it as CHEATING-

John:beer:

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by esqeddy
I love my car. I thought I had a rattle at first. Then I realized that the sound was just the acceleration making my pee brian rattle around in my skull. :D

NODOZE is in your mind?!?! Do you have something to tell us?:D

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Here are my favorites re' '03 Cobra:

1. Looks a lot like an LX (wolf in sheep's clothing heheh)
  2. Gets 20 MPG in the city.
  3. Rattles enough to let you know it's still a good ole muscle car
  4. Can accelerate, brake, and turn all at the same time
  5. Works out both left and right legs evenly
  6. Sounds like a cruise missle at redline
  7. Brake dust gets car dirty enough to look old, preventing traffic stops
  8. Prevents the classic "I'm gonna box you in while you pass" syndrome
  9. Turns competitors into smoking diesels (WOT is a bitch, ain't it?)
  10. You can eat a sandwich at 120 MPH
    [/list=1]

:coolman:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by NODOZE
Highest RPM: ~4800, gradually going higher.
Broke tires loose: twice, no hop
Bone stock down to the paper filter
Waiting til 1k before I wind it up good and shift real hard. Nonetheless, I have done some lower-rev spirited driving.

-Brian [/B]

Fellow enthusiasts:beer: ..... Brian by merely enjoying his marvelous new cobra as it was intended to be driven, is actually "Breaking in the engine" the correct way:rockon:
you must be "on it" for the rings to seat properly( we know he is limiting high revs...very good)...
I'm assuming he's about ready for, or has allready done the first of many oil dumps in the first 4,000 miles(like to see at least four):rockon: :beer:

Enjoy Brian:thumbsup: .....and welcome to the most insightful ,fun and well populated (with cool:coolman: characters) automotive forum that I am aware of.:thumbsup:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I got the same impressions after a mere test drive. The salesman told me to "light it up." So I had some fun in it. The sad part was when I went back to my 99 and left, I felt like I was driving a Toyota Tercel. My car felt like it had no power and was far from refined like the 03 felt. I want one so bad. Congrats on the car.

-Brett

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by BreBar21
I got the same impressions after a mere test drive. The salesman told me to "light it up." So I had some fun in it. The sad part was when I went back to my 99 and left, I felt like I was driving a Toyota Tercel. My car felt like it had no power and was far from refined like the 03 felt. I want one so bad. Congrats on the car.

-Brett

That's what and extra 100 RWHP does to you. :(

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by oldcobra
<Gets 20 MPG in the city.>

What town do you live in?

The town where I don't boost every 5 seconds. You'd be amazed at your mileage if you keep out of the boost and shift below 1700 RPM's.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by NODOZE

Sounds awesome but would like a little more volume, stock.

you want more volume but want to keep it close to OEM? Buy my stock cat-back... not as toned down as the '03's but looks totally stock and is OEM to '01's

Cheap, 23,000 miles on it (original mileage of car)

(801) 913-9027

NODOZE

Established Member
Cool replies, thanks everybody!

Re: rattle. MY '02 Maxima had a rattle in the rear deck while driving off the lot. Now here's a car BUILT for comfort... and no compliants in that department for the Maxima, overall. My point is, with all the moving parts in auto's you're bound to have something rub against something else and cause a noise. I fixed that one, just like I fix the one behind the stereo in the Cobra... just something you would expect in a 400 horse race car, IMO.

Couple more stats:
NEVER been wet other than washing.
Washed 2 times, waxed once.
Haven't changed the oil yet, should I?
Garage kept.
Highest speed: 95
Haven't used windshield wipers yet either
Don't take it above 2.5k RPMS before the temp is settled in normal operating range.

Wish list:
Wish the stock ride height was a tad lower.
Wish they would've put the Cobra emblem in the front grill.
Wish they would've put '10th Anniviersary' in the steering wheel and embroidered in the seat under the Cobra.
Wish the mustang in the top of the windshield was a Cobra.
Oh yeah, I wish the drivers seat went back a little more.

The huge rotors look awesome, perform awesome.
It's nice knowing I have a stout transmission behind all that HP/TQ.
It's also nice knowing I have forged internals operating far below their limits.
That SC whine is so much fun. Even at low RPMs just cruising, giving it a little gas, it sounds like a jet. Then under hard acceleration, it sounds like, I don't know, but it sounds cool.
From what I read, this car responds well to the bolt-ons. That makes for much easier justification when shelling out the cash for them.
In a couple years, these cars will be considered what the Supra was/is up until the '03's (as far as street racer). IE Fast stock, ~$1500 in mods can produce enormous gains, responds well to simple bolt-ons, etc.
Can't imagine what the pro guys will get out of the stock bottom after some good tweaking.
Bang for the buck is unbeatable, IMO, best bank for the buck in a late model sports car.

first mods planned: catted x-pipe, k&n (spring-time-ish) :rockon:

-Brian

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Damn stop driving it like a gt, your missing the best revs of the motor, you arent going to hurt it:p If you ever saw the short "torture-test" they do the seccond it rolls off the line.....

OH AND CONGRATS!:beer:

Now go drive that bitch like you stole it;-) The computer knows what will and wont hurt the engine.

Last edited:

SNK BITN

Established Member
Originally posted by ZincDude
Yeah rattle here rattle there. I wish I could get rid of that airbag rattle on the passenger side. Everyone must know what I mean.

BwwwasaAAAAAAAAaaaaahhhHHAAAAAhahahahahah :lol: :lol: :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread