Had the crap scared out of me last night.

Silver 03 Cobra

I ran at WRP last night. See my post. My second to the last run I ran my best time. People were coming up and begging me to run. I made another run and spun badly at the line and pulled a 90.7 at 8.23. That was my fastest trap. I wanted to make one more pass. There was a red 91-93 notchback that had a blower that was loud as hell and an intercooler that almost touched the ground. He was running around 95. He made sure he lined up against me. No big deal. He can beat me. It didn't mean anything to me. He had a "for sale" sticker in the rear window. I felt like he just wanted to prove something. He had on big ass slicks and I'm sure he had 4.56's. When I launched I spun real bad and it was over already. I got back on the throttle and the power just died. I thought what the heck. I slowed to almost a stop just past the finish line and gave it 2/3 throttle and it felt like I had only 150 hp. It was sick. I never heard anything. It sounded like a gas or timing problem. When I got off the track it came back alive. I didn't realize but I was real low on gas. In fact my fuel light came on after I left the track. All I can think is it picked up a gulp of air. When I drove to work today I think my car felt stronger than it ever had. Maybe it's my imagination. But it feels like my 03 had a "heinlic" maneuver and coughed up something bad and now my horse is feeling it's oats. I hope the bloop was nothing.

Back to the 5.0. If I had slicks, 4.56's and stripped my car in weight this 03 could easily run what that 5.0 was running that night. I believe with slicks alone I would be right on his ass. Not bad for a car that is as civilized as this one is.

Last edited by a moderator:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I think some people mentioned that when there fuel was really low that boost would cut out. Maybe thats what it was?

Silver 03 Cobra

Blue98, I've read that somewhere. I wonder how long the valve would hold open. After I stopped and took back off I wasn't really in the throttle enough to generate any boost the engine was still weak. It runs pretty good without boost and it felt real sick. Maybe the dump affects the engine without boost.

Last edited by a moderator:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The boost cut-out on the Lightnings is 10 seconds I believe and we are probably the same. 10 seconds can feel like forever when something like that happens.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Restarting the engine will surely reset it. Rick at Amazon Racing is warning about messing with the abuse valves - he associates it with some engine ticks from loosening of the cam girdle - suggests shifting at 6200 rpm.

Silver 03 Cobra

I think I'm going to invest in a shift light. I'm too stupid or too scared to keep my eyes on the tach.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I had one in my old car and will be putting a shift light in this one. The best place I found to put it is inside the center air vents behind the vent. It is not noticable normally, but still in line of site with your eyes when you are driving.

Users who are viewing this thread