Hail-proof car cover

vbguy01

Established Member
Since I've moved to the midwest, it seems hail is a regular nuisance this time of year. Can anyone recommend a car cover that provides the best protection from hail? (Parking the car under cover isn't an option at work.) It may sound silly but how about just putting a comforter underneath a cheap cover? Sure it may get wet but may soften the blows. Thoughts?...Ideas?....

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
Contact Covercraft. They may be able to address your concerns & offer a solution. Being a midwestern/southern, I understand your worries!!

rocket5979

Established Member
Just slap a piece of plywood or two on top of it. A nice 5000 lb cargo strap wrapped around it and through your car windows and around the roof should keep that EVIL hail away!!! :D

Hey just trying to help!!! Come to think of it this is also way cheaper than the $350+ car covers. Gosh I am a genius!!! ;-) :D

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I've seen something advertised in the back of Car and Driver in the past where basically it's a weatherproof piece of material with a rope and some stiffeners in strategic places. The point being it kept space between it and the car, there was about 2 feet of air between the cover and the paint.

I would think that the main concern you would have, is having a thick material to avoid being ripped to shreds by ice (can be as sharp as a razor blade), while having some impact cushion between the cover and the car. No matter how thick the material is, if it's resting directly on the bodywork it's only going to afford minimal protection.

If hail is really going to be a problem, and you've got a daily driver, you may want to consider storing the car in a U-Lock-It during hail season. The only sure protection against hail is a roof...and sometimes that's not even enough when you're talking softballs.

Matt M PA

Established Member
I have a Nextec cover for my Cobra to keep it out of the snow and rain. It will not stop hail, it is a very lightweight material made of the stuff they use on ski jackets and the like. It is their most water proof though...more on that in a sec. It is easier to store due to it's thickness.

You'd want a Technalon cover, Covercraft makes them too. This is a much thicker material...the thickest material on a cover I have seen. While my restored '72 Plymouth is usually inside under a cotton-flannel cover, I have a Technalon (Evolution is another name for this) cover that I leave in the trailer just in case I get caught at a show with a pop-up storm.

(My Nextec cover was GREAT all winter...the snow piled up and the Cobra stayed dry. Least week, I thought it would be wise to wash it and called Covercraft for instructions. I followed them carefully and now the cover leaks...bad. Another call to Covercraft netted me the opportunity to re-wash and re-dry..this time for a much longer time. Still leaks. The Covercraft Rep is working on this and I should have an answer on Tuesday. The Nextec material is supposed to "regenerate" from the heat of the dryer.)

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt M, PA
The Nextec material is supposed to "regenerate" from the heat of the dryer.)

I have a Covercraft Weathershield cover that is specifically made for cars stored outside all the time. It repels water very well & is also made of the Nextec material. I washed mine about 2 months ago using Purex powered detergent (no fabric softner) and put it in a dryer with great results. In the manual, it states using powered detergent only. I hope they can help you with yours Matt M.

Users who are viewing this thread