half shafts went to poop today :(

shadowcoupe

well... i though it wouldnt happen... all the "anti" wheelhop stuff i got.... 1 second of wheelhop, and BANG!

i am prolly gonna get sum dss level 2 half shafts, but i hear you have to reuse the inner cv? i have no idea where it has snapped yet, but does it depend on where it snapped in order to reuse these inners to work with the new level 2's?

also, is DSS the only place to order shafts? $1000 is kinda steepe....
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

03yellow

Established Member
Mine broke last month. I had no wheel hop. I hit second with nittos 315s and about 15lbs ,in the tires,at the track. The car never hooked in second;just a loud "POP".

You better get an IRS brace. Mine broke 2 weeks later on the freeway:I lost all my rear end fluid and had to purchase the whole rear end axle assembly(pumpkin).$$$. Opps see you already have it !!!

Last edited:

shadowcoupe

mustarrosa said:
Did you just get wheel hop or did you launch hard....just curious because it could happen to me..

i got wheelhop outta first gear. not enough time to let out of it :shrug:

where do the breaks usually occur on the irs?
i kinda dont like the fact you gotta reuse the inner cv....cause what if it's broken there!?! :bash:

also saw the gnk shafts, their the entire shaft, but $1300 is alot of doh.....

car will be pulled apart tonite to see where damage happened...

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Hightly doubet that you're broke at the inner cv.. The stock one is about as strong as they can make it...

shadowcoupe

Miamifan1354 said:
Hightly doubet that you're broke at the inner cv.. The stock one is about as strong as they can make it...

ok good, im pullin it apart a lil later today. thanks Miamifan :thumbsup:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I see that someone recomended stepping up to the lvl 5's if you're going to spend some cash anyway. If no one has broke either a set of lvl 2's or 5's then why spend the extra $$$ for the 5's? They both seem to be pretty stout.

shadowcoupe

im confused about how the level 2 actually install.. anyone have a write-up on a DSS install or a link to an install sheet...
thanks..

drohan8592

Established Member
i have the lvl 2's. they have held up great for me. i have the lvl 2's with mj's IRS brace and as far as i know it seems pretty bulletyproof. also when i had the lvl 2's installed all of my drivetrain slop went away. i mean completely away. DSS will warranty the LVL 2's for 6 months. thay are rated at 600 RWHP, i guarantee you will not be dissapointed with them. save yourself some money and get the LVL 2's. PM me if you have any other questons.

drohan8592

Established Member
you have to remove the U joint off of your old halfshafts and swap it on to the LVL 2's. my left halfshaft was actually twisted at the splines and i had to have my shop cut the end of the shaft off to remove the u joints. with 31 spline axles i was surprised. just goes to show how truly brutal our cars really are.

Last edited:

shadowcoupe

drohan8592 said:
you have to remove the U joint off of your old halfshafts and swap it on to the LVL 2's. my left halfshaft was actually twisted at the splines and i had to have my shop cut the end of the shaft off to remove the u joints. with 31 spline axles i wa surprised. just goes to shoe how truly brutal our cars really are.

thanks drohan,
i am going to order the level 2's sometime today. :thumbsup:

shadowcoupe

drohan8592 said:
sweet. good luck. now go and get that blower ported with that extra money you saved !!!!!!!!!!

:D how much of a differance did the port make? also i dont think those shafts on ebay come with the boots straps or grease....I sent him an email..

whitey03

Established Member
2 things...

drohan8592: U Joint? You mean CV Joint correct?

Grey03SVT: I have those from ebay on my car. They came with boots,grease,and clamps

Fang

Established Member
O.K. I am in the middle of all this "anti" hop stuff myself. Still thinking I need to get the half shafts done while I am here. This sucks.

JerseySVT

Established Member
grey03svt said:
thanks drohan,
i am going to order the level 2's sometime today. :thumbsup:

While you're at it, I suggest picking up one of JDM's pinion snubbers also. They're cheap and easy to install. That, along with the lvl 2's and mj's IRS brace, your IRS will be virtually bulletproof.

http://67.15.62.79/forums/showthread.php?t=169901

This is what it prevents:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread