Half shafts

scottmac2000

Established Member
Can anybody shed some light in these Irs rears like what happens if you break a halfshaft? Is it worse then breaking an axle at 90mph? Is there such an animal as a "halfshaft loop" ? I have yet to raise my car and look under it, i just want to drive it stock for a bit before the mod bug starts biting.

Dcrypter

Established Member
Can anybody shed some light in these Irs rears like what happens if you break a halfshaft? Is it worse then breaking an axle at 90mph? Is there such an animal as a "halfshaft loop" ? I have yet to raise my car and look under it, i just want to drive it stock for a bit before the mod bug starts biting.

If you are just going to drive it stock you will be fine. You don't really have anything to worry about unless you put slicks on the back. Also you most likely aren't going to be breaking a halfshaft at 90. If it's going to happen it will be from a hard launch.

You can watch one break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IPo-spiMWA

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If you intend to make power with your car then its the 1st upgrade you should do. Ford Racing makes a nice set!!!

Dcrypter

Established Member
I don't know about that. I've been putting down 550/485 for over 7000 miles and my halfshafts are fine.

You will never get enough grip to break anything without slicks(or at the very least DR's but i haven't heard of any breaking on DR's yet) and you'll probably need a tune to turn off TQ management as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the stock ones are great and will last forever, but it's not some sort of priority that will force you to baby your car if you happen to get some more power. 3-4 hard launches on slicks is what it will take to break them.

I'll personally be going with The Drive Shaft Shop for my half shafts and single piece driveshaft when I get closer to putting a set of slicks on the back.

BMR Tech

There have been 3 people here local in Tampa that have broken their half shafts with around 420 rwhp.

All 3 were on Drag Radials.

Just saying.

Tim03cobra

Established Member
No problems on my end. Mine put down over 700 rwhp and cut a best of 1.53 60' with a 3600 stall and over 50 10 second passes at that level. I did just put 1400 DSS axles in the car last week for safety purposes.

There have been 3 people here local in Tampa that have broken their half shafts with around 420 rwhp.

Just saying.

Dcrypter

Established Member

Just saying.

Well there ya go, DR's or slicks. I hadn't heard anything about DR's but I assumed it was likely. I've had all kinds of hard launches on the stock tires and no problems. I'll be getting some new ones in a couple weeks though so we will see how MPSS's treat my halfshafts. Also my tune from Roush doesn't have TQ management turned off so that's probably helping them.

Anthony K

Established Member
No problems on my end. Mine put down over 700 rwhp and cut a best of 1.53 60' with a 3600 stall and over 50 10 second passes at that level. I did just put 1400 DSS axles in the car last week for safety purposes.

And foot braking a auto is ABSOLUTELY nothing like popping the clutch.

Netural drop your car on slicks or radials with stock axles n let us know how it goes.
id say a transbrake but I'm not sure if they have them yet for that trans.

RSKtakR

Established Member
I have also heard of the DR cars breaking the half shafts with just over 400whp and even a 3500 rpm launch. I will be just under 450whp next season and I think I WILL be putting the 800hp Ford Racing set in just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread