Halfshaft replaced, now Ive got gear whine!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Okie dokie here goes.

My car was gone a week to replace the driveshaft due to vibe over 80mph, had it replaced, no change, took the car right back in 3 days later.

Got it back after almost another week, this time they changed the rear end. Took it out, and now the vibe was gone. Woo :D now we're getting somewhere.

Took it to the track a few nights later, did my best bunny impression and blew the right half shaft. This was Wednesday night last week.

Just got my car back today, pulling out on the freeway to go back to class, as soon as I back off the gas, Im getting gear whine. Back on the gas, let off, DAMN this is annyoing.

So after some loud cursing, I decided to hell with it, Im not brining it back because Im sick of driving rental cars for 3 weeks. Im just glad to have my baby back. Ill put up with it for the time being until I need to go in for my first service appointment, which should be coming in a few thousand miles.

Anyways, how did I get gear whine out of a halfshaft replacement? Am I just having bad luck with the drivetrain on this car or what?? :shrug:

Sorry for the majority of ranting, I'm just driving myself to the mad house on 10 pounds of boost.. :loser:

stang03svtcobra

how did you break your half shaft? wheel hopping and did they give you any trouble about it... just wondering cause i had an 01 and i had to pay for my half shafts and it had no modds on the stock rear tires....

stang03svtcobra

its accually making me scared to take it the track is any one els having problems like this with there half shafts breaking so easy... if so please tell where they break and under what circumstances... or is this a rare thing

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I broke it on my 6th pass down the track on F1s. Too much wheel hop off the line, didnt back out of it soon enough..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29572
Heres my original post about my shaft taking a dump.

Anyways, its damn tricky at the track. Even trying to do a small burn in the waterbox to clean off my street tires the rear hopped like a #$%, can I not even burn out without the rear going nuts? What kinda Cobra is this?

Funny thing is, my service guy mentioned the tech found some rubber in my tirewell, but it didnt affect it. Hmm, thought I cleaned it all out...

NXCobra

Established Member
Been there, had my pumpkin replaced, now all I hear is a loud clunk every time I give it gas, or go from a dead stop. I would rather have the whine back.

blown03

Established Member
I think there is an additive that they have to put in with the differential fluid? Assuming that they drained your cars differential fluid then maybe they didn't add the specified additive. If i'm not mistaken when they replace a halfshaft they have to drain the differential.

I had a similar problem with my car.

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

The 03's have synthetic oil so you do not need friction modifier. The modifier is for the disks in the traction lock and will not help noise.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
I had the whine after a trip to the track.......way back when. The dealer fixed it and the drive shaft at the same time, and no more noise. If you hop you will sooner or later break....that is for sure. Buy which ever kit you are going to buy, but buy one.......You will love your Cobra even more, when you don't have to worry about the HOP.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread