hand gun info ??

illness

Established Member
since ive noticed alot of u have a hand gun fetish.. i have a question regarding the legalities of my situation.. my grandfather when he passed away left me an old s&w .32 6 shot revolver.. its not written down anywhere that he did and no one in the family knows about it cause it was between him and i.. how would u legally register something like this, if you even can ?? can anybody help me out??

txyaloo

Established Member
From MSP's website:

13. I inherited a pistol from my uncle. Do I just take it in to my local police agency to get a License to Purchase?

MCL 28.422 Unless you have a valid Concealed Pistol License issued after July 1, 2001, you must obtain a License to Purchase first. When the owner of a pistol is deceased, the statutes provide that the next of kin or personal representative of the estate has the authority to sign as seller. If you are the next of kin or personal representative, you may sign as seller indicating "Estate of …" and also as purchaser.

The best option is to move to a state that doesn't place restrictions on your Second Amendment rights.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i dont know about your state, but i would stop in a local gun store. they should have your answers and be able to help with any paperwork

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Like txyaloo pointed out, the MSP firearms FAQ outlines the proper procedure concerning your specific situation.

You'll need your grandpa's estate executor (whoever that person was, close family member or lawyer?) sign off on the transfer to you when you complete the paperwork for a "pistol purchase permit."

IMHO, you may want to consult a lawyer who specializes in civil/probate matters if you anticipate a "rocky" transaction (ie - if you expect his estate executor or another family member wishes to make a claim for the "newly" discovered piece of your grandpa's property, the pistol).

G'luck...

Users who are viewing this thread