Handling and Steering issues

headtiK03

Established Member
Hey guys I've had my termi for almost a month and the biggest issue I've run into is trying to solve some kind of steering or handling issue the car seems to be having. It's really noticeable if I'm doing 60 to 70 mph and I slightly accelerate to about 80 mph, the car seems to get really loose, almost like the car is driving itself. The issue is also noticeable sometimes when I drive over a road reflector or painted line in the road. I've had the car aligned just to be sure and I also need to replace the rear tires, but I'm still at loss if that doesn't fix the issue. I've been thinking about getting a bump steer kit for the car because all the info I've read on them describes the issue I'm having, but it says its mainly for cars that have been lowered and mine I believe is at the stock ride height. I've had a couple people tell me my tie rods look funny, but I'm still unsure (see pics below). Any suggestions?
2.jpg
IMG_20170321_142129.jpg

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
You have oem tie rods. Nothing funny about them.
You need to make sure the front end is not lose....check the outer and inner tie rods the steering rack and your rag joint in the steering column and wheel bearings. Look that all up on YouTube if you don't know how.
If it's only at certain speeds it's more likely tire issues I would guess. Out of round, not balanced ext. Are they big tires up front? Like 275? As they like to grab any rut in the road.... you feel it in the steering wheel for sure
I would suggest getting this fixed asap if it is a steering issue It can be dangerous.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
If you haven't changed ride height your car should steer just fine with oem stuff. There are benefits to an bump steer for lowered cars.

Also I'm not sure if stock cars have sway bars if so check the endlinks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You have oem tie rods. Nothing funny about them.
You need to make sure the front end is not lose....check the outer and inner tie rods the steering rack and your rag joint in the steering column and wheel bearings. Look that all up on YouTube if you don't know how.
If it's only at certain speeds it's more likely tire issues I would guess. Out of round, not balanced ext. Are they big tires up front? Like 275? As they like to grab any rut in the road.... you feel it in the steering wheel for sure
I would suggest getting this fixed asap if it is a steering issue It can be dangerous.

275 is the stock width on these cars. But can still tramline depending on the tire. It's something I have to adjust to when going from my truck to my car. Although I feel it more in the rear than the front.

If you haven't changed ride height your car should steer just fine with oem stuff. There are benefits to an bump steer for lowered cars.

Also I'm not sure if stock cars have sway bars if so check the endlinks.

These cars come from the factory with sway bars. Even the V6's have them. If you look between the strut and spring you can see the end links.

Get the rear tires replaced. Worn tires can cause all kinds of weird issues. I wouldn't bother with a bump steer kit. My 01 was lowered 1.75" and I never ran a bump steer kit on it and it was fine. I would check over the tie rods and stuff as devitoj suggested. But I'd add checking the rear stuff as well. The IRS has tie rod ends as well. Also a loose hub nut can cause issues.

partzman

Established Member
Mine had a similar issue that was resolved by torquing the rear hub bolt. FTBR Bruce talks about it as a very common issue.

headtiK03

Established Member
Just a quick update...

I noticed some play in the driver side rear tire after I had to remove the rim to have the the tires replaced. After consulting some other people, I was pretty sure it was the bearing. Finally had the opportunity today to get some time to remove and dissemble the whole IRS knuckle. Thankfully my old man has a machine press and and the bearing basically fell apart after we got it removed. New bearing on order!

Question though, a few people seem to replace the wheel hub if they have to replace the bearing. Any particular reason for that? My wheel hub seems fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Question though, a few people seem to replace the wheel hub if they have to replace the bearing. Any particular reason for that? My wheel hub seems fine.

The ones that replace the hub usually don't catch it in time so the hub gets damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread