hanging low

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
Im currently running a bbk x pipe and a managaflow cat back. love the sound and the performance of it.

only problem, it hangs to dam low. Its to the point where u can see plenty of space between the pipe and the car if your looking from the side. maybe 1.5-2 inches. Ive "refitted" a couple times, pushed it back up,tightned all the bolts, it all looked good. and 2 weeks later its low again. It also rattles like hell at certain rpms.

I'm thinking I might go get the setup welded? or maybe weld in another hanger or two? loctite the bolts?

So i come to svtp for hints, tips, or suggestions.........

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
We all have this issue .. best way to fix it would have custom work done at a shop .. otherwise pretty much any bolt on exhaust will hang low

When I install my Mac lt's and x pipe I'm thinking about having a shop do some tweaking to my pipes to get them to tuck up better

moonltgold

Too low, that's dangerous and could rip out your entire system. You need 2.75-3" minimum off the ground to be safe. You may want to spot weld the BBK when you have it shoved up into a higher riding position on the lift. Another thought is go to the Magnaflow X-pipe instead of the BBK. I have never hit mine in 10 years on 2 different Cobras with 3" height to the X and about 2.75" to the bottom of the muffs. Also, not to spend your money, but there are other muffs out there with higher profiles than Magnaflow -- I know they're pretty and polished, but they are not the best option for clearance -- I sold mine years ago.

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
i dont have much intrest in changing the set up. it sounds like a boss. im gonna make a call to my exhaust shop tommorow n see what their do. im thingking a weld n a hanger should fix it.

rudycobra

Established Member
Yes just a hanger or two will hold it up ! I'm having same prob . I cant get into my garage without exhaust scraping a Lil , but just too lazy to go weld a hanger on there . Let us know how they do it . I looked but wasn't sure wat was best place to put one .

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
im taking it into the exhaust shop either tuesdy or friday. the shop i use does so much dealership and custom work that it takes a dam week to get ur car in there. i'll let ya know what we end up doing with it

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i would like to know what "tweaking or bending" they do to the exhaust to get it to tuck up some... or if they add a hanger id like to see that too

def take a few pics while it is in the air and keep us updated .. i will be messing with mine in 2 weeks and would like an idea of how to get it up alittle bit

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Try pushing the xpipe up with with it loose and the tighten it that is what I do and it stays in place and you get some extra clearance. Mine sags if you just bolt it down with out pushing it up holding it and then tighten every thing up. Mine has stayed up for several years now. I have noticed others having to do this as well and seems to work.

Users who are viewing this thread