Harbor Freight cylinder Leakage Tester Help

03Slither

Established Member
I bought a two gauge cylinder Leakage tester from harbor freights http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4317 .

First gauge is down stream from the regulator and the regulator is down stream from my compressor that is supplying 60psi of air. I can only adjust the pressure going to the first gauge to 15psi before the second gauge dial (leakage gauge) is in the set area of the gauge. According to the instructions you are ready to start monitoring for cylinder leakage at this point. So my question is, is 15 psi enough to test for cylinder leakage?

Thanks

ponynx

Established Member
plug the air line from the compressor into the manifold of the gauges, adjust the dial so the gauge on the right is at -0- *THEN* plug the hose from the engine into the manifold and you will get your reading from the right hand gauge.

Last edited:

03Slither

Established Member
I understand how to use it. I was wondering why only 15psi to test for cylinder leakage? Thanks for responding.

gtmustang00

Established Member
less than 5% leakage to be extremely good. at my school w/ new rings in the motor i built i had between 2 and 5% leakage. it made more power than the motors w/ 20% leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread