Hard to put in gear when hot?

jeffhou

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone else has had his problem. I noticed after I race maybe 3 times, it starts getting really hard to put into gear. I was wondering if its not getting lubricated properly or what the deal is? I can remember this happening since the beginning, and now I pretty much have to jam it in gear if I want to race more than 3 consecutive runs, so basically I cant do any bracket racing or domestic competition, which I would like to be able to do. Thanks for the help :kaboom:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
your clutch cable is heating up and stetching, try mashing the clutch harder into the floor and see if it goes into gear.

Another way to see if this is the case, turn off the car, put it in first (should be easy if its the cable).

The clutch is dragging, and that keeps the syncros from matching the gear speed, so it doesn't want to go into gear.

Its easy to shift once moving isn't it?

jeffhou

Established Member
It goes into gear when its off, it is easier to get into gear while moving. But when the rpms get up higher, it gets harder to shift.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Adjust your clutch cable so that it pulls more pretension on the clutch or shield the cable from heat.

Or take it in for service and tell them the problem. I thought my Tremec was f'd up until I realized what was going on (and only when the car was hot ;) )

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
T56's have had the problem of going into first gear when stopped ....all of us Camaro guys have experienced it.....just put the car back in neutral, release the clutch, push clutch back in and then put in first gear....it works for me everytime...I think it is just a T56 thing..?:shrug:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
It's because the clutch is lightly dragging, and tremecs just won't go into first unless the input shaft matches the output ( zero rpm) With a slight drag it won't go into gear because the input shaft won't slow down. A thing to keep in mind on the 5 speeds anyway is that reverse dowsn't have a synchro, so throw it in reverse, then imediately go to first before the input shaft can start going again.

Users who are viewing this thread