Hardwiring a radar detector?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Want to connect my V1 under the glove box and I don't have a test light. Anyone know the color of a hot wire in this area? Thanks.

Goldy

Established Member
Have you considered going to the fusebox for the power source? This is what I've done (a total of 3 times, 2 of which were on Cobras) and it is very, very easy to do. Also, there is no need to splice into any existing wire. Below is the text of one of my previous posts about hardwiring a V1.

Good Luck.

Howard

NOTE: I DO NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY WHAT-SO-EVER FOR ANY DAMAGE TO ANY VEHICLE, RADAR DETECTOR, OR PERSON/PERSONS WHICH MAY RESULT AS ATTEMPTED TO HARD-WIRE A RADAR DETECTOR AS I'VE DESCRIBED BELOW. SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO HARD-WIRE/INSTALL YOUR RADAR DETECTOR AS I HAVE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not an electrical engineer/technician, and I do not have any formal training related to electrical systems. I'm just sharing how I hard-wired my V1 radar detector in my cars, and that I am happy with the results. (The way things are today, you can't be too careful!)

I hard-wired a V1 in my '03 as well as my '99, and can tell you it not too hard to do (well worth the minimal effort IMO). I hard-wired mine with something called 'add-a-circuit', which I purchased from my local auto parts store (Pep-Boys). Basically, this part allows you to create a new curcuit from an existing one. The 'add a curcuit' part takes the place of an existing fuse in the fuse box and then accepts two fuses; one for the original curcuit (just re-use the original fuse) and one for the new curcuit. Exiting from the 'add-a-fuse' part is a wire that is the 'pos' for the new curcuit. On both the '99 and '03, I choose the power window circuit for a couple of reasons: it's switched on/off with the (ignition) key, and is located in a spot on the fuse box where the 'add-a-fuse' can connect easily while clearing the fuse box cover.

As for the V1 wiring, I removed the pilar cover on the drivers side, as well as the trim piece which runs along the top of the windsheild. The tricky part is snaking the wire from the area of where the left pilar meets the dash to the fuse box (this just takes a little patience.) I then routed the wire along the pilar and top section of the windsheild (area where I removed the trim pieces), and then reinstalled the tripm pieces. All that's let to do is make the electrical connections under the dashboard (to the 'pos' wire of the 'add-a-curcuit' and to a ground which is easy to find).

I cable tied the V1 wire to the wire which goes to my rear view mirror (I got convertibles), and mounted the V1 to the windsheild just below the rear-view mirror. I don't have pics but believe me, it's not that hard to do. Working slowly and carefully, the job from start to finish took about 45 min.

Good Luck!

Howard
Indy SVTOA Chapter Director

'99 Electric Green Cobra Convertible, Charcoal Interior w/ Black Top
#2632 of 4055, born on 5/26/99, arrived at the dealership on 6/9/99, took home on 6/10/99.

Dyno'd on 4/27/02:
295.4 hp/301.2 tq

'03 Triple Black Cobra Convertible
Arrived at dealership on 6/26/02, took home same day.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Thanks for the help. I love this place. Just got it done in the manner of the kickpanel wiring. Fished it through the dash - major hassle as the plug is bigger than the hole and I had to enlarge it - ran it behind the A pillar and over to the visor where the V1 hangs out.
The fusebox thing sounds like a good idea. I suck at wiring and never knew how to hook something up there.

jfclague

Established Member
I wired mine to fuse #21 which was for a convertible top (I have a coupe). Just pull out the fuse and wrap your wire around the fuse. Push the fuse in and there you are.

A total 5 minutes and your done.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
i just installed my V1, i wired it into the lighter under the shift cover. Tucked the wire right up the seam on the air vent, passenger side. have about 6" of wire showing to mount on the windshield. wire slips right into seam, can't see it at all. took about 5 minutes.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
My V-1 is on my visor. Ran the wire under the headliner/under the pillar/around and under the dash to the fusebox. Only problem I had is where the headliner meets the windshield there is a small gap and the wire kept slipping out. Fixed it with a couple small pieces of double sided tape holding the wire to the headliner.

Users who are viewing this thread