Has any stock cobra r's been smoked by a stock 2003 cobra yet

Andy M

Established Member
Don't yet have any experience on the street with a new '03 Cobra.. of course, I am probably not the person to ask since I do not race on the street anyway... no matter what the other car happens to be.

However, from what I have read, the new '03 Cobra is pretty equal (at least in straight line performance?) to a stock 2000 Cobra R. They will both do the quarter mile in the mid 12's. I would have to give the nod to the R though on a road race course because of the more aggressive suspension set up. However, I don't think either one will "smoke" the other, at least given an equally capable driver in each one in a drag race.

Just my two cents!

1Fast R

Remember when we had #227 dynoed a few weeks past? Well, right after it was dynoed, a new 03 Cobra was dynoed. The R dynoed 3 more hp than the 03! Remember, too, that the 03 Cobra at 150 mph has no wing and no spoiler for down pressure like the R at 180 top speed. :)

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Originally posted by 1Fast R
Remember when we had #227 dynoed a few weeks past? Well, right after it was dynoed, a new 03 Cobra was dynoed. The R dynoed 3 more hp than the 03! Remember, too, that the 03 Cobra at 150 mph has no wing and no spoiler for down pressure like the R at 180 top speed. :)

Some good points in that comment :lol: :-D :coolman: ;-)

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Ok, now that the rear #'s are close what about the IRS system, I know that the R's is better the the 99 and 01's cobras but the 03's are even better than the R's? I started this thread to get everyone idea on the R's because from what I've hear that are very fast, but I don't see why they were are so much money from Ford when they sold them?:??: Is the L's motors the same as the R's?

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
I started this thread to get everyone idea on the R's because from what I've hear that are very fast, but I don't see why they were are so much money from Ford when they sold them?:??: Is the L's motors the same as the R's?

Brad,

First off, the reason the R's cost more is because of all of the race aftermarket parts on it. Fuel cell, oil coolers, Brembo brakes, etc... and the main reason they cost more is EXCLUSIVITY. They will build thousands of the new Cobras. There are only 300 2000 Cobra R's around. This is just the price you pay to have an exclusive car.

Second, the L motor is NOT the same as the R motor. Internals are different. The R's motor has different heads, forged pistons, a completely different intake system...etc...

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Car I couldn't aford then and now
"EXCLUSIVITY"
- understood . What about the IRS differences? Any info? I'm very unhappy with my wheel hop are the R's the same? Also Andy M, don't take this thread as bad mouthing the R's, I'd rather have an R than my cobra. I don't know that much about the R's, that's cool sh*t tho about the
Fuel cell, oil coolers, Brembo brakes / The R's motor has different heads, forged pistons, a completely different intake system
Thank for the input.:) :)

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
Car I couldn't aford then and now - understood . What about the IRS differences? Any info? I'm very unhappy with my wheel hop are the R's the same? Also Andy M, don't take this thread as bad mouthing the R's, I'd rather have an R than my cobra. I don't know that much about the R's, that's cool sh*t tho about the Thank for the input.:) :)
No offense taken.

Wheel hop on the R is unfortunately still a problem... but the IRS system works very well on a road course. Wheel hop is not an issue when road racing, only when doing hard launches in drag racing... which the R was really not designed for.

Basically, here is the deal.. if you want a street car that you can use to smoke all the ricers, Camaros, TransAMs, etc..?? Get an older model mustang with solid live axle.... put a blower on it and walla, you've got something to terrorize cars on the street, and for a whole lot less than the price of an R.

The R was never built with the intent of being the fastest car on the street in a straight line. Sure is a blast on a road course though and turns some major heads on the street!! :-D :-D

BRIMSTONE

From our owner's binders it looks like the 00R's IRS is 8-9X's stiffer than the 99 cobras - which leads me to believe it's still significantly stiffer than an 03 Cobra.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
Bring 'em on.I'm not worried. We must have them on weight!
not by much... about 100 pounds or so.

Basically, the '03 Cobra will most definitely hang with a stock Cobra R. The R is certainly a much more exclusive car however and will remain so for years to come.

If I wanted a fast street car though, I would definitely consider the new '03 Cobra! What a bargain!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
not by much... about 100 pounds or so.

Basically, the '03 Cobra will most definitely hang with a stock Cobra R. The R is certainly a much more exclusive car however and will remain so for years to come.

If I wanted a fast street car though, I would definitely consider the new '03 Cobra! What a bargain!

the '03 is a great street car! and, a very nice platform for a track car.....add in the fuel cell, suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, and other 'goodies' costs, and you'll be within a few grand of the '00R.....and, the '00R is still n/a vs. the '03.....imagine the '00R with a blower! how sick would that be! :thumbsup: :D :rolling:

Speedthing

It about CHANGING LANES
Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

the '03 is a great street car! and, a very nice platform for a track car.....add in the fuel cell, suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, and other 'goodies' costs, and you'll be within a few grand of the '00R.....and, the '00R is still n/a vs. the '03.....imagine the '00R with a blower! how sick would that be! :thumbsup: :D :rolling:

That would be so sick that I feel a fever coming on already. I am anxiously waiting to see if Ford racing technologies will offer an adaptable supercharger kit for the 2000R after the GT-40 is produced. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where's my thermometer......the fever is starting to rise again!!!!!!! :rolling:

Speedthing
2000 R #164
'96 Cobra conv. supercharged

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Speedthing

That would be so sick that I feel a fever coming on already. I am anxiously waiting to see if Ford racing technologies will offer an adaptable supercharger kit for the 2000R after the GT-40 is produced. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where's my thermometer......the fever is starting to rise again!!!!!!! :rolling:

Speedthing
2000 R #164
'96 Cobra conv. supercharged

:idea: I'm anxious enough just waiting to see the GT-40 come out....not that I can afford one, but hey, anything is possible!!! banks just love to give out credit!!!! can you say 'home equity loan' ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Speedthing

It about CHANGING LANES
Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

:idea: I'm anxious enough just waiting to see the GT-40 come out....not that I can afford one, but hey, anything is possible!!! banks just love to give out credit!!!! can you say 'home equity loan' ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

No kidding. If I ever hit the lottery....a new GT-40 would have to go in the garage. Did I say garage??? Forget that. I'd have to build a new climate controlled, multi-car showroom. Wow that was a nice dream. Guess I should wake up and get back to work. :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread