Has any stock cobra r's been smoked by a stock 2003 cobra yet

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Ripper
LOL.. I guess there a lil excited LOL.. It's track time I believe? Not jack time? ? ? !

:beer:

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by ragansrcobra99

andy andy andy, i ain't a-even met ya, and i'm getting flack? NO RIBS FER Yáll then! LMRWAO!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

everyone gets some 'round here!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Just doin my part here to earn my keep! :bash:

Are you coming to Iowa in October?? Nashville is aweful close, compared to Houston...

Hope to see you there?!

andy, are you going to iowa in october??? I'm hoping I can swing it myself....1200 miles is a long haul, and hopefully work slows down by then....

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

andy, are you going to iowa in october??? I'm hoping I can swing it myself....1200 miles is a long haul, and hopefully work slows down by then....
Yep!! JoeJ and I are going to be making the trip together. It is about 880 miles from Houston. Basically, about a day and a half trip. We will leave early on Thursday morning and stay somewhere around Wichita that night... then make a final run on Friday to arrive around noon or so.

I can't wait!!! Should be a blast!! I hope you can make it. That would be awesome. There will be quite a few R's there.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Yep!! JoeJ and I are going to be making the trip together. It is about 880 miles from Houston. Basically, about a day and a half trip. We will leave early on Thursday morning and stay somewhere around Wichita that night... then make a final run on Friday to arrive around noon or so.

I can't wait!!! Should be a blast!! I hope you can make it. That would be awesome. There will be quite a few R's there.

it definately will be a good time....I was quite impressed with the way things went at Gingerman with the SCMC back in June....very well run, emphasis placed on safety, passing with point by's (some clubs dont enforce point-by's) and best of all, super people and a super club!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

we drove straight out to Gingerman, 760 miles.....and as tired as we were, as soon as we checked into the hotel, we cruised over to the track :) too much anticipation and excitement, who could sleep? LOL :D

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
It's not quite 500 rwhp, but close...one guy with a 3" exhaust is getting 467 with 519 lb/ft. I have read of the 500+ RWHP cars here and on the Corral, but really haven't seen any dyno graphs.

I'd be happy with 425-435 rwhp, that would put me at 500 at the flywheel for a daily driven car. Nice. :D

The R models are still cool though. Remember the Andy Watts R model? 500+ hp with a Vortech on the 351 before he got green fade on the front pads (brain fade in his helmet?) and backed it into a bank at Road Atlanta. StangParts had that car listed for $25K a while back, then I lost track of it.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
It's not quite 500 rwhp, but close...one guy with a 3" exhaust is getting 467 with 519 lb/ft. I have read of the 500+ RWHP cars here and on the Corral, but really haven't seen any dyno graphs.

I'd be happy with 425-435 rwhp, that would put me at 500 at the flywheel for a daily driven car. Nice. :D

The R models are still cool though. Remember the Andy Watts R model? 500+ hp with a Vortech on the 351 before he got green fade on the front pads (brain fade in his helmet?) and backed it into a bank at Road Atlanta. StangParts had that car listed for $25K a while back, then I lost track of it.
Joe,

No doubt about it man, the new '03 snakes are very nice rides indeed!! Alot of car and alot of performance for the money.

I now see and understand how the new snake can get to 500 at the wheels. However, I would still worry about reliability in the longer term with such high levels of boost???:eek: I think as long as you are not pounding the crap out of it on a road course though, you should be fine. I DO however think a new Cobra pushing 15+ pounds of boost and being pounded on a road course for laps at a time... would eventually break from fatigue. I could be wrong though??

For road racing though, I would still rather have a normally aspirated engine, even one which does not have as much HP and torque. For dragging though, and for street use, I would get a new '03 Cobra in a heart beat!! One hellavu car!!

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Just for the record,the 03 cars will respond better to mods and will be ultimately be quicker in a drag race but anyone who would take one over a 00 R is into the hard hard stuff. This from a person who's neve rode in one or even seen one i person. Just an awesome car,mainly because it's so damn rare.

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
03 Cobra RWHP

:coolman: For those on this list who find it hard to believe the possibility of 500 RWHP on the '03 Cobra...I was at the Fun Ford meet at Ennis today and helped a fellow '03 Cobra owner prepare to race in the street class. He had a 2.80 pulley, Bassani X and cat-back, BBK full length headers, a modified stock air box (gutted), single-blade Accufab TB, and Paul's TB-to-Blower manifold. and no chip. Dynoed at 503 RWHP in Houston, on 98 degree day with the usual high humidity. This car runs mid 11s and will definitely see a 10 when cooler weather prevails.:lol::lol:

William
'03 Cobra
483 RWHP
'00 ZX12R

Last edited:

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
03 Cobra RWHP

Andy M:

:coolman: Initial boost is about 16 psi, but falls off to about 12 psi in the upper rpms. At this power level, the blower cannot flow enough CFM to maintain the boost. None the less, this is still very impressive for a production car.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

Andy M

Established Member
Re: 03 Cobra RWHP

Originally posted by mustangtaz
Andy M:

:coolman: Initial boost is about 16 psi, but falls off to about 12 psi in the upper rpms. At this power level, the blower cannot flow enough CFM to maintain the boost. None the less, this is still very impressive for a production car.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R
Man, it is simply amazing what kind of power that little 281 can make?!! Only thing is though, you would not want to go to a road course and pound on it lap after lap with that kind of boost... it would be sure to break! I know what I speak of. I had a friend who bolted a blower to a new SS Camaro and when he went to an open track event at TWS in College Station?, he almost blew the thing sky high. It got so hot and the pressure built up so high, it was blowing oil out of the breather!:eek: :eek: :eek:

For street driving though and for occasional drag strip fun, it is one damned good setup and makes some unbelievable power!

Enjoy it, but make sure you change the oil often and use more aggressive maintenance schedules. Blown engines need a little more care and feeding than n/a ones. I had a blown M3 in a past life with only 6.5 pounds of boost (355 HP out of a straight six!!) and it was a blast!

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
03 C0bra RWHP

Andy M

:coolman: Andy, I too am into Road Racing. Clearly, this engine under boost would probably not make five laps at TWS. The air inlet temperature would exceed the innercooler's heat absorbtion ability and the ring lands would go away. Talked to a guy in the JDM tent yesterday who runs a Lightning in the Open Road Racing series. His truck is capable of 155 mph, but will not stay together at WFO for very long, even at stock boost. He learned this the hard way. By the way, love your 2000R.

As a side note, my friend Bob Hahn won the AS class at the runnoffs Friday in his Cobra. Although a Camaro finished a couple of seconds ahead and another Mustang only a few tenths ahead, they were both DQ'd in post race teardown. I helped Bob get started in racing and am glad to see him take the National Championship. Great win for him.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

Andy M

Established Member
William,

I will be at TWS with the R the weekend of October 12-13 for "The Driver's Edge" event. See the following link for further details >>> www.thedriversedge.net

Joe Johnson (Cobra R from Humble) will also be there as well as several of our Mustang friends from Houston and Dallas. There will also be a couple of new Z06's there in our group. I will be running in the yellow group.

I can't wait to get the R back on the track again. It has been since May when we went to Hallet in OK to run in the Porsche Club event called "Mayfast". Then I brought my car to Dallas at Janco (in Wylie) to get a roll cage done. And since then, I've been too busy to do any track events.

After the TWS event, Joe and I are headed to MidAmerica Motorplex in Iowa for the SCMC national meet. That should be big fun!! It is a brand new road course with some fresh asphalt!!

We should try to hook up at the track some time?? Dude, you would not believe how awesome the Cobra R is on the track?? You can pound on the thing all day long and it never complains. I have about 3000 or so track miles on my car and it does not burn a drop of oil. I am very anal about upkeep though. I change the oil after every track event. I replace it and the filter with Mobil One respectively. I also replace the rear diff oil at least once every 6 months. I am running DOT 4 brake fluid.

Last edited:

mustangtaz

mustangtaz
Established Member
Andy:

:coolman: I will try to hookup with you at TWS in October, although I can not say for sure. I'm in the middle of a PhD in mechanical engineering and find time to be a premium. I took off to go to the Fun Ford event in Ennis Saturday when I was supposed to be running a laser experiment. There was a time when I spend a great deal of time building and tunning the Mustang. Wrote a couple of books on them in the process. Anyway, I will try to make it. Thanks for the info.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by mustangtaz
Andy:

:coolman: I will try to hookup with you at TWS in October, although I can not say for sure. I'm in the middle of a PhD in mechanical engineering and find time to be a premium. I took off to go to the Fun Ford event in Ennis Saturday when I was supposed to be running a laser experiment. There was a time when I spend a great deal of time building and tunning the Mustang. Wrote a couple of books on them in the process. Anyway, I will try to make it. Thanks for the info.

William
'03 Cobra
'00 ZX12R
PHD in ME huh?? Congrats man! I have a BSEE degree with an option in Telecommunications.

Hope to see you at the track, or anywhere else for that matter real soon! Good luck with school!

Users who are viewing this thread