Has anyone built a dog stair lift platform/garage lift or something of that nature?

velocicaur

Established Member
My 12 year old lab mix (~80 lbs) has pretty bad arthritis. He's on a handful of medication for it but it's not enough at this point. Stairs are becoming an issue. He has stumbled the last couple of times and it is just unsafe at this point. It's only a matter of time before he tumbles and breaks something. He's slept on my bed for all these years and now I have to put the gate up so he doesn't go up/down the stairs during the night. I don't want it to go that way. I need to do something about it and I stumbled across this self made dog lift: Dog lift

Now, my construction and engineering ability is lacking. It doesn't look too difficult though. I could get a 16' 2x12 as a base. Make a 3x2 platform for him to sit on. Basic track and wheel system. There is a 1500lb winch that connects to 120V for about $200. The remote is corded but it would be a start. I think I could get it together for ~$500 all in.

Am I crazy? Give it a go and see what happens?

Any thoughts/ideas/etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

smitty2919

Established Member
Harbor Freight has wireless remote options.

Issues I see are attaching the "track/base" to the stairs stable enough to not tip/move. You can hide the winch in base itself at the top so the winch is always pulling the platform up and "unwinding" the winch to let it go down the stairs.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
You’re not crazy at all.
My 14 year old 50lbs Black lab/ Korgi mix is having the same issues. She can’t even get up the stairs on her own. If your dog is receptive, they have harnesses you can get to assist her up. My dog was not hav anything to do with the harness though. What I do though is tuck her tail under with my hand and basically give her a boost up the stairs. She still uses her front legs so that I’m not dealing with all of her weight. She literally puts her front legs on the first step and waits for me to get in position and say go! Coming down the stairs she does mostly on her own but she waits for me to get a couple steps ahead of her with my hands up as if to catch her and urge her own down. I think it helps make her feel safe that she won’t fall. She makes no attempt anymore to do any of it on her own. She was used to always sleeping on the bed too, but nowadays she has a Kong brand dog bed next to the bed right below me and she loves it.
My fiancé was looking at some home made lifts for her as she had to deal with the same thing with one of her dogs in the past. I’ll see if she can dig them up and I’ll post the links.
With the weight of your pup the lift would definitely be a good way to go.
I‘lol post back when I find the links!

Wanted to add that if you’re not already doing it, look into buying some Phycox. It isn’t the cheapest joint supplement but it works wonders for my dog Lucy. It was highly recommended by our vet.

Ken

Last edited:

velocicaur

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

I built a ramp going out the garage door so he would avoid those three steps every time. It took a few tries but he goes up and down it without issue now. My engineering skills were tested a bit more than I liked with such a simple project so the lift is off. I decided it was probably easier to just get a bed downstairs so I cleared out the office a bit and now my bed is on the main floor. I bought a $200 foam mattress that I have right on the floor. It's not ideal for me but it works great for him so that is a win.

The harness is a no go. I've tried multiple walking harnesses over the years and he doesn't tolerate them well.

He's on a handful of supplements, pain pills, etc. My sister is a veterinarian so that is helpful. I'll have to look into Phycox. She hasn't brought that one up. He takes Movo-flex. I might take the leap into CBD oil next. She isn't fond on the idea but I think it's worth the "risks" if it helps him a bit.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
That’s good that you have a vet in the family!
My dog Lucy is on CBD oil as well. Between that and the Phycox she definitely moves around better and you can tell it helps her just by her demeanor.
She is also now taking one 81 mg child’s aspirin at night to help with pain and keep blood clots from forming. If I had to guess I would say that the Movo-flex your sister has him on is probably the same or close to the Phycox.
Good luck with your furry best friend!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread