Has anyone built their own "supercooler"?

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone has rigged up their AC system to cool their supercharger fluid? I have heard this is planned for the new Lightning. I also remember posts about someone using a secondary tank of ice-chilled fluid that is diverted into the supercharger just before a run. I was thinking that you splice into one of the AC lines and install a two way valve that you can manually turn on and off. Then you run the secondary line you spliced off your AC line into a homemade heat exchanger that could fit into the fenderwell. The heat exchanger's return line would also feed into this new heat exchanger. The diverted AC cold line would coil around inside the heat exchanger and cool the return fluid from the stock or aftermarket heat exchanger. The cooled fluid would then go back into the supercharger. The AC line would loop through the fluid and exit and go back into its normal route through another two way valve. With these mods you would need increased AC coolant capacity and more intercooler coolant as well. The diverter valves could be used only at the track and turned off for normal use of your AC. Temperature guages could also be installed when you did the work to monitor the temps.

Do you think this is worth doing? Would cooled down intercooler fluid going directly into the supercharger make much of a difference? Just think, as you are idling and moving up the line for your run, you run your AC and cool down your intercooler fluid. Whe its time to make the run, switch off your AC, or not since WOT cuts out the compressor clutch anyway, and away you go.

Just a thought, whatcha think?

dougwg

Established Member
condensation on you AC system will drip… if they see something dripping off your car at the line…. they WILL back you off the line

but yes it will work....if you can hook it all up

BTW: Ford has a Patent on this

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
As far as the condensation dripping you could always install a catch can for it to drip into, then drain it after getting back to the pits. Even install a solenoid valve on the drain so you could drain it at the flick of a switch.

Also do a search over the internet for "pipe freezers". We use them in my trade to make live tie-ins on water systems. I have seriously thought of modifying one to act as an independent refrigeration system for the intercooler. The lightest one I found I think was around 40 lbs, but Since I dropped about 100 lbs going to a solid axle I would still be 60 lbs to the good if mounted in the trunk.

I have thought alot almost to the tee of what you said in doing it with the A/C system. do a search for "frosty intake" I believe the website might be www.coolflow.com they have heat exchangers just for this application. I even talked to the guy that owns the bussiness awhile back, and discussed what it would take to do this for the '03 Cobra. He said he could get things cold enough to form ice on the intercooler :eek: he also has his own version of a refrigeration system for intercooling.

Hope some of this helps!
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread