has anyone done this to one their car??

ba#97

Established Member
has anyone done this to their car??

I have a 95 Cobra and I am wondering, I saw this awhile back....TTB 240SX

article here....1993 Nissan 240SX - Golden Eye - Modified Magazine

and this has me intrigued....

'The front fenders have also been spaced out from the car’s natural door line to help dissipate the heat caused by hard braking, and this modification may also provide a slight increase in clearance for the 245/40R17 Hoosier A6 grooved slick racing tires Rob runs.'

has anyone done this with our cars? and would it really make any benefits with heat dissipation, aero etc etc. I know it would clearance for tire which I am not worried about anyways but still curious if anyone has seen or heard of it done before.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
At first I thought that would have to cost you points. But it looks like it doesn't.
Part I: h: 2 under No Points Modifications allows Flaired Fenders, and that's the closest mention to this I could find.

ba#97

Established Member
At first I thought that would have to cost you points. But it looks like it doesn't.
Part I: h: 2 under No Points Modifications allows Flaired Fenders, and that's the closest mention to this I could find.

right now I am not in Time Trials but wouldn't mind being in it at some point! haha. and I just now realized you were in TTB too...that's funny.

so, the real question I have for this is...do you see a benefit..is it worth a try and how do you think he went about it? I have heard putting spacers on the mounting bolt would work.

ba#97

Established Member
do you think the benefits would be worth it? it does make sense to me for heat dissipation, and I would think it would work for aero too...getting unwanted turbulent air out from underneath the car slightly. I wonder what the cobra would look like if I did it. lol. it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I instructed a guy with a fox body Mustang that did exactly that to fit 275s in the front. His fender was about 2" away from the body at the base of the fender/door. I have considered doing this to mine, but I would prefer to find another way to make 275s fit. I am not really sure it help with cooling anything off, otherwise everyone would be doing it. It is probably that guys solution for tire clearance. You should have no problem fitting 275 under your front end, which is plenty of tire. Unless you're doing it for that reason I would not mess with it.

ba#97

Established Member
I instructed a guy with a fox body Mustang that did exactly that to fit 275s in the front. His fender was about 2" away from the body at the base of the fender/door. I have considered doing this to mine, but I would prefer to find another way to make 275s fit. I am not really sure it help with cooling anything off, otherwise everyone would be doing it. It is probably that guys solution for tire clearance. You should have no problem fitting 275 under your front end, which is plenty of tire. Unless you're doing it for that reason I would not mess with it.

I have 275's on the front and back already. they fit perfectly. I might just see how it looks...haha. idk thought I'd ask around about what you guys thought...I have looked at wide body kits but if I did that, I would want to go with very wide wheels and tires at that point and it's not in the books right now for that. really just intrigued at the idea of it, and seeing how it would look.

Greensix

Established Member
No comment on the effects of the large gap at the rear but this is what I did to reduce the under fender pressure/turbulence:

DSC_0316_zpsb9788de7.jpg

DSC_0272_zps3e1cd4bc.jpg

Cost me all of 20 bucks off ebay and made a huge difference at Road Atlanta on the higher speed corners.

ba#97

Established Member
No comment on the effects of the large gap at the rear but this is what I did to reduce the under fender pressure/turbulence:

DSC_0316_zpsb9788de7.jpg

DSC_0272_zps3e1cd4bc.jpg

Cost me all of 20 bucks off ebay and made a huge difference at Road Atlanta on the higher speed corners.

I like this idea...lol. what did you search to find them? I'm assuming you have the liners removed. I'm kind of not all for the idea of having dents show through the top of my front fenders from rocks being kicked up...anyone know of a way to avoid that?

Greensix

Established Member
I like this idea...lol. what did you search to find them? I'm assuming you have the liners removed. I'm kind of not all for the idea of having dents show through the top of my front fenders from rocks being kicked up...anyone know of a way to avoid that?

I searched "Sea doo louvers" and found a bunch of different styles.

I do have the liners removed and after running them for a few events at CMP and Road Atlanta, I haven't noticed any dents. Just a ton of rubber smears on the underside. I have even been off-roading a couple of times with no dents. I know the guys out west seem to have more rocks to play with and may get some dents.

To be honest though, by this point in car modification...a few small dents in the fenders isn't that big of a deal.

BlackStripes

Established Member

DSC_0316_zpsb9788de7.jpg

DSC_0272_zps3e1cd4bc.jpg

Very nice! ... just curious, when you say it made a huge difference...what are you referring at? brake temps?

wheelhopper

Established Member
That is my next move to remove some trapped air. I would never have thought to use Sea Doo Louvers. I may order some to do a test fit and see how they look.

I removed the fender liners before my last event. I also had avoided this for awhile. While I do have a dedicated track car I still want it to look nice. My solution to avoid potential rock dings was to spray the underside of the fender with truck bedliner. You can get it in a spray can at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. I figured if it protects a truck bed it has to help with the underside of my fenders.

Greensix

Established Member
Very nice! ... just curious, when you say it made a huge difference...what are you referring at? brake temps?

No idea on brake temps as I don't have any real way to measure that. I have never had brake temp problems on my car (300hp, 2900lb) so these may have helped but I have no way to quantify that.

The real help was in front grip. Specifically at Road Atlanta turn 4. This is a fast, downhill corner into the "esses" that would always cause my car to have the front wash away and never bite until the bottom of the hill. After the louvers I had enough grip to get the car to change direction well enough to maintain full throttle. I also had the front skate around less on the really fast turns of 1 and 12. For me they look great and made a noticeable difference.

Sirl

Established Member
My solution to avoid potential rock dings was to spray the underside of the fender with truck bedliner. You can get it in a spray can at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. I figured if it protects a truck bed it has to help with the underside of my fenders.

Great thread! I'm diggin those louvers as well,

But just a side note... The bed liner will work IF you use the right stuff.

Do NOT use "Duplicolor Bed Liner". I used it to do my trunck, its paper thin, scratches off with your fingernail. Totally disappointed in it.

Find the "real" stuff, or, go to a place that actually sprays Rhino Liner.

... Carry on ...

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I highly doubt spacing the back of the fender out will reduce brake temps much, if any at all. If you really want to improve aerodynamics by messing with the fenders, you typically pull the fender out IN FRONT of the tire to push the air out and away from the wheel opening and keep air from hitting the front face of the tire, which in theory should reduce drag.

You can kind of see it in this NASCAR fender
NASCAR-Fontana-32.jpg

Edit to add: The top louvers obviously work too, very cool to use them from a Sea Doo!

Last edited:

Attaus

Established Member
Pulling fenders? Next you're going to tell me we landed on the moon.

He pulled them to fit the tire.. it will do little if anything to help move the air. Sounds like pseuodynamics to me.

Now what Greensix did.. that will definitely help. The way the vent is designed modulates the pressure enough to draw the air out. Not only are you exhausting hot brake gases you are lowering the pressure of the wheel well, allowing the car to stay more planted at speed.

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
I searched "Sea doo louvers" and found a bunch of different styles.

I do have the liners removed and after running them for a few events at CMP and Road Atlanta, I haven't noticed any dents. Just a ton of rubber smears on the underside. I have even been off-roading a couple of times with no dents. I know the guys out west seem to have more rocks to play with and may get some dents.

To be honest though, by this point in car modification...a few small dents in the fenders isn't that big of a deal.

this is true...lol. I will have to look into this. luckily for me being in norcal it doesn't seem that we have to worry too insanely much about rocks...I haven't had any problems yet.

ba#97

Established Member
That is my next move to remove some trapped air. I would never have thought to use Sea Doo Louvers. I may order some to do a test fit and see how they look.

I removed the fender liners before my last event. I also had avoided this for awhile. While I do have a dedicated track car I still want it to look nice. My solution to avoid potential rock dings was to spray the underside of the fender with truck bedliner. You can get it in a spray can at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. I figured if it protects a truck bed it has to help with the underside of my fenders.

THIS!!!! I am doing this. brilliant idea. haha. I feel the same way about my dedicated track car...i'm trying to keep it as nice as I can.

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
I highly doubt spacing the back of the fender out will reduce brake temps much, if any at all. If you really want to improve aerodynamics by messing with the fenders, you typically pull the fender out IN FRONT of the tire to push the air out and away from the wheel opening and keep air from hitting the front face of the tire, which in theory should reduce drag.

You can kind of see it in this NASCAR fender
NASCAR-Fontana-32.jpg

Edit to add: The top louvers obviously work too, very cool to use them from a Sea Doo!

ugh you had to use a picture of Joey Logano's car...that little shit head. haha. anyways...I am definitely going to try the louvers out now that I see they will work, not too worried about pulling the front of the fenders out.

Now the point of this thread was me really asking if anyone thought it would help with anything more than just getting wider tires in the front. I personally haven't had any aero issues yet and do have some aero mods in the books as is...(NASCAR COT splitter awaiting install) etc etc. I say we keep this thread going for more wonderful front fender ideas. I am definitely going to try out the bed liner on the insides of them along with the louvers.

greensix - what did you have to do to install them? obviously cut the fender but what did you use to cut it, and to actually attach them? any underside pics would be nice.

ba#97

Established Member
Pulling fenders? Next you're going to tell me we landed on the moon.

He pulled them to fit the tire.. it will do little if anything to help move the air. Sounds like pseuodynamics to me.

Now what Greensix did.. that will definitely help. The way the vent is designed modulates the pressure enough to draw the air out. Not only are you exhausting hot brake gases you are lowering the pressure of the wheel well, allowing the car to stay more planted at speed.

this thread was me asking if people thought it would help...not telling people it would...so....thanks for the input but don't say it like I am sitting here trying to tell people this would work. I'm trying to learn some info...and honestly...from everyone posting in this thread so far...we have had some really good and interesting info run through it.

Users who are viewing this thread