has anyone done this to one their car??

Greensix

Established Member
greensix - what did you have to do to install them? obviously cut the fender but what did you use to cut it, and to actually attach them? any underside pics would be nice.

I used a Dewalt 4.5" grinder with a cut-off wheel. I taped up the fenders, drew an outline and got to cutting. There is about 1/4" of overlap on all sides so you have some room to play. I used 1/4" pop rivets to attach them to the fenders. You can see them in the close up.

I'll see if I can snap a picture sometime today of the underside.

BTW the new keyword to search on ebay is "boat vent". I tried to retrace my steps and "Seadoo vents" doesn't return much. Here is an example of the vent I have but in white:

Sea Ray Bilge Blower Exhaust Vent Louver Boat 17" x3 1 8" New Donzi Too | eBay

ba#97

Established Member
I used a Dewalt 4.5" grinder with a cut-off wheel. I taped up the fenders, drew an outline and got to cutting. There is about 1/4" of overlap on all sides so you have some room to play. I used 1/4" pop rivets to attach them to the fenders. You can see them in the close up.

I'll see if I can snap a picture sometime today of the underside.

BTW the new keyword to search on ebay is "boat vent". I tried to retrace my steps and "Seadoo vents" doesn't return much. Here is an example of the vent I have but in white:

Sea Ray Bilge Blower Exhaust Vent Louver Boat 17" x3 1 8" New Donzi Too | eBay

awesome advice man....appreciate it!

so do you think it would be more clean looking if I cut the hole just big enough for the lovers to go through and then sealed it to the inner fender? that way no rivets...all that is coming up and out are the louvers.

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Either pulling the front of the fender out-difficult, or spacing out the rear at the door does help. Anything that speeds up air down the side of the car's wheelwell will suck out heat/dust. It was used back in the 70's -80's on TransAm, IMSA, etc cars.
Sideways-Ford-Mustang-GTP.jpg

Lazebnik.jpg

24616784+File31871265480665.jpg

I've got a buddy George Harrelson, that had a Mustang II and a Challenger that both raced in the old TransAm series that used a 2 inch strut from the frame to bottom fender mount to make the gap. Brake dust down the side of his cars told me it worked. Of course, with George, several times it was oil down the side, too......

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
Either pulling the front of the fender out-difficult, or spacing out the rear at the door does help. Anything that speeds up air down the side of the car's wheelwell will suck out heat/dust. It was used back in the 70's -80's on TransAm, IMSA, etc cars.
Sideways-Ford-Mustang-GTP.jpg

Lazebnik.jpg

24616784+File31871265480665.jpg

I've got a buddy George Harrelson, that had a Mustang II and a Challenger that both raced in the old TransAm series that used a 2 inch strut from the frame to bottom fender mount to make the gap. Brake dust down the side of his cars told me it worked. Of course, with George, several times it was oil down the side, too......

haha...oil down the side...yep...sounds just like an old racing story...lol. and from what I have noticed...everytime you post...I find myself enjoying the stories you have...and the advice is always great! I might test this out on the cobra along with the louvers. I will keep you guys up to date on the idea...though that will be at least 4 months from now because...well....I am deployed right now. oh well. still intrigued on the louvers.

dave, can you help me get an idea on this 'strut' you're mentioning?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
ugh you had to use a picture of Joey Logano's car...that little shit head. haha.

Had no idea, just picked a picture from google images that seemed to show it the best.

dave, can you help me get an idea on this 'strut' you're mentioning?

I'm not Dave, but I do believe by 'strut' he means a metal bar that attached between the fender and original mounting surface on the body. Much like the bar between the wing and fuselage on an airplane is called a strut, not like a macpherson strut in a car's suspension.

ba#97

Established Member
I'm not Dave, but I do believe by 'strut' he means a metal bar that attached between the fender and original mounting surface on the body. Much like the bar between the wing and fuselage on an airplane is called a strut, not like a macpherson strut in a car's suspension.

yeah I know that...lol. thanks though. just wanted to see if he had any visuals of what it actually looked like. I am considering this idea though. sadly with our cars, the front bumper is plastic so 'flaring' it out for aero wouldn't work well and wouldn't do much anyways. not saying kicking the back out will do much either but thought I would ask about it. it is an interesting idea.

ba#97

Established Member

David Hester

Established Member
Dave? Dave's not here.

LOL Nothing high tech. Just a piece of tubing flattened on each end with a couple of bolts to hold fender out at bottom. Wish I had a picture of the Mustang II. To not be a "real" Mustang, it looked pretty good. We did SOLO I (called time trials now) and would go out together during practice sessions. He ran a dry sump and his oil lines...weeped a bit. Sometimes a quart or so at a time, hence the streaks. We're talking almost 20 years ago with a 35 year old car. Was pretty cool to look over and imagine what it was like to race during the old TransAm days. That was one of the reasons I ran A/Sedan for several years. Production based V-8's much like the original TransAm series, before everything went tubeframe.

SCCA%20Road%20Atlanta%20Ju%2310008.jpg

Old A/Sedan-(moi) vs New (tubeframe GT-1)

ba#97

Established Member
Dave? Dave's not here.

LOL Nothing high tech. Just a piece of tubing flattened on each end with a couple of bolts to hold fender out at bottom. Wish I had a picture of the Mustang II. To not be a "real" Mustang, it looked pretty good. We did SOLO I (called time trials now) and would go out together during practice sessions. He ran a dry sump and his oil lines...weeped a bit. Sometimes a quart or so at a time, hence the streaks. We're talking almost 20 years ago with a 35 year old car. Was pretty cool to look over and imagine what it was like to race during the old TransAm days. That was one of the reasons I ran A/Sedan for several years. Production based V-8's much like the original TransAm series, before everything went tubeframe.

SCCA%20Road%20Atlanta%20Ju%2310008.jpg

Old A/Sedan-(moi) vs New (tubeframe GT-1)

awesome stuff! I think I am gonna give the fender flaring a shot....also....in some researching for my buddy who may put a gt500 vent in his miata hood...after some narrowing of course....and I came across what could be a genius way to install my louvers from the bottom cleanly......

3M windshield adhesive....haha.....see here....

GT500 Hood Vent - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
You better be damn good at cutting holes in the fenders if you're gonna put the louvers in from the bottom. The top mount louvers cover the holes and allow for a margin of error.

I have the Kenny Brown fender vents on my race car, they sit on the side of the fender about where the fender logo is at. After getting pushed wide out over the blend line and eating a few cones this past summer at Hastings, my crew chief told me that he had always wondered if those vents worked but he could tell they did for the amount of smoke rolling out of them as the tire chewed up the rubber traffic cone.

Also rather than pushing the fenders out, if this is a track car with a front splitter look at running a lip at the front of the wheel well. Nothing fancy just a vertical lip along the front edge of the wheel well. The drag losses are small compared to the downforce gains.

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
You better be damn good at cutting holes in the fenders if you're gonna put the louvers in from the bottom. The top mount louvers cover the holes and allow for a margin of error.

I have the Kenny Brown fender vents on my race car, they sit on the side of the fender about where the fender logo is at. After getting pushed wide out over the blend line and eating a few cones this past summer at Hastings, my crew chief told me that he had always wondered if those vents worked but he could tell they did for the amount of smoke rolling out of them as the tire chewed up the rubber traffic cone.

Also rather than pushing the fenders out, if this is a track car with a front splitter look at running a lip at the front of the wheel well. Nothing fancy just a vertical lip along the front edge of the wheel well. The drag losses are small compared to the downforce gains.

I will have to check out these fender vents...and I have come to the decision that if I do the vents on top I will just go from above and rivet them.

Kartracer

Established Member

Do you have any pics of the lip along the front edge of the fender?

Users who are viewing this thread