Has Anyone Fixed The Stall?

Matt M PA

Established Member
My '03 has been in once and had the computer re-flashed...last Spring.

This Spring they did some other fixes that "had fixed every other Cobra stalling problem" but the car stalled twice today.

They are talking about putting a flight recorder in the car, but I was hoping someone here has actually had it fixed so that I could pass along some more info to the tech. (He is excellent and surprised the last fix was not the final word.)

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The stall flash fix was the end-all fix-all.

If you're still having problems, what position is your MAF in? Also, look up the MAF cleaning procedure, it will stall out if there's oil in it.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I just got the "stall fix" two days ago and it works. Your dealer needs to flash the ECU with the latest code.

Give them the following info:

SSM 17542.
SM 17542 2003 MUSTANG COBRA - LACK OF POWER ON DECELERATION
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER. CALIBRATION FILES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT www.MOTORCRAFT.COM.

They should have this EXACT record in their computer, so they can look it up.
The new code makes the car run completely different. Some things I've noticed with it so far:

- It starts up differently and the RPMs are much higher right after startup.
- It drops to idle MUCH more slowly than before.
- It idles differently.
- Exhaust note is louder at idle.
- The shift light now works with the Predator performance tune.
- It hasn't stalled.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Interesting - I have an '02 GT and had a stalling problem. They re-flashed my ECU and it's never happened again, and I had the same changes you just noted. I wonder if it's in effect the same changes between both GT and Cobra?

Fang

Established Member
Shift light huh? Never heard anyone say that worked with the Predator tune. Must be nice!

NyteByte said:
I just got the "stall fix" two days ago and it works. Your dealer needs to flash the ECU with the latest code.

SSM 17542.
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER. CALIBRATION FILES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT www.MOTORCRAFT.COM.

The new code makes the car run completely different. Some things I've noticed with it so far:

- It idles differently.
- It hasn't stalled.

CobraTom

Banned
NyteByte said:

SSM 17542.

- It idles differently.
- It hasn't stalled.

Thanks for the info :rockon: My cobra just stalled for the second time since I've had it for 1.5 months. Gonna get it reflashed. :-D

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Since I got the reflash, haven't had a stall. I have been coasting a lot just to see if the stal reoccurs, but so far, nada. Oh yeah, still have stock air filter and exhaust.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Accoding to my SVT Tech, I have the latest flash...and it still stalls.

They installed a flight recorder a couple weeks ago. Last Wednesday, it stalled and I was able to hit the button, and got the event recorded. (A little LED readout makes a pattern until is has finished recording.)

Anyhow, this week, the dealer will remove this recorder and go through everything that happened to determine where the problem is.

This flright recorder deal is something. It has a 30 second window, and as I understand it...when the button is pressed, it records the previous 20 seconds and 10 seconds after the event.

Once I know more..I'll pass it along.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Another update. The recorder was removed this week, and the info analyzed. They have found a problem with something called the Idle Air Control and are certain that this will be the fix. I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Users who are viewing this thread