Has anyone installed a tubular K-member at home?

bobby_0081

Established Member
I have a brand new MM K-member, rack bushings, and steering shaft for my 2002 GT. What should I expect when installing it? I have air tools, a high level of mechanic expertise, and all the recommended parts. It seems pretty straight forward but doing it on my back in the driveway always seems to complicate things. The Magnum 6 speed swap I did last year seemed pretty straight forward until I needed a speedo block off and a shorter driveshaft. If any of you have changed your K-member how long did it take you? The car is my DD and I cannot go without it so if I start the swap next Sunday then I need to be finished the same day so I can go to work the following day. I have already done the CC plates from MM and coil overs with Koni yellow's and MM tubular A arms. I have new rack boots I am going to swap at the same time and a two new Ford clamp kits for the new boots. I need to buy four cheap plumb bobs between now and next weekend to make sure it is aligned correctly. I have a cherry picker to support the engine while I drop the K-member. I also have 5 Ton jack stands that will allow me to get the car up off the ground far enough.

Is there anything I am missing?

smashedheadcat

Established Member
You're not missing much. Print the instructions from the M/M website and just get familiar with them this week before tackling the project on Sunday. It can definitely be done in one day on your back in the driveway.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not missing anything. You can do it yourself in your garage no problem. Since it is your only car, I would start it on like a sat. so you have sunday incase you don't finish for whatever reason.

rktsci25

Established Member
The cherry picker legs might get slightly annoying when it comes to manuevering the k-member/yourself under there, but otherwise it's fairly straightforward. I did it in my garage without air tools. The only thing I really remember, and I just checked it's still in the instructions, is the LCA bolts get torqued to 148 ft-lbs... a little extreme especially when you are using a torx bit in the front, otherwise fairly simple.

If you run into the cherry picker legs annoyance, I would suggest a 2x6 and use the chains already in use to hold the engine up, no need to go with that metal bar thing they call out in their instructions.

wicked96gt

Established Member
It is very easy. Just read over the instructions a few times before. I used a jack with a 2x4 to jack up the trans. I would have been done in one day easily if I would have known I needed spring perches to stay with stock springs with my kmember. Just jack the car up nice and high and it will be easy to do in your driveway.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I would raise the engine, put a strap around the engine and run a 2x4 or pipe or whatever you have lying around across the area in front of the shock towers (not the fender tops!) and then get the cherry picker out of the way. Normally these k-members have 1 hole that is round to give you a start on bolting it up then you move it around with the slotted holes to finish aligning it.. This is also about the time you discover that one side of the frame rail is higher than the other due to not having full length subframe connectors and doing John Force burnouts..not to worry they're all bent a little.

bobby_0081

Established Member
I still haven't swapped it yet. I haven't felt like it but as soon as I do I will let you all know how it went. On a positive note I have a 600 dollar paper weight sitting in my bedroom on the floor until I do the swap.

03Steve

Established Member
I have an engine brace for this. Here is a generic photo for reference:

Brace-During-Header-Install.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread