Has anyone installed the Hurst billet shifter?

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I had the Steeda Tri-AX in my car, but I did not like the how it shifted. To me it did not shorten the throws much at all, and the gear were too far spaced apart. Has anyone tried the Hurst shifter in the Cobra? I had one in my Z28, and the shifts were really short, very noisy shifter though.:shrug:

SNKBITE

Established Member
I have one in my '03 Cobra. I also added the Hurst Pistol Grip which makes powershifting much easier.
I only drove the car home with the factory shifter before changing to the Hurst, so as far as comparing the two, I really can't do so.
HOWEVER, I really like the way the Hurst feels, and performs.
Installation is a breeze also, but of course you already know about that as you have discarded the factory shifter.
I have not noticed any noise...

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
I installed one. Had good centering spring tension to make the 2-3 shift but had poor tension to keep it from hitting the gate in between 3rd and 5th. You could push the stick to the right from neutral and it would not spring back. If you did the same towards 1-2, it would come back strongly. This caused me to miss 3rd a lot (never missed 3rd with the stock shifter). I returned it to Jegs and bought another one. That one had the same problem. Needless to say, I'm looking for something else now.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread