Has anyone installed their gears themselves instead of at a shop?

hdsupercrewf150

Established Member
I'm about to install 4.10's and I want to do this myself. I'll also probaly do the BF Brace also while its out.

Has anyone done this themselves? I don't have a problem installing the gears because I can have a teacher help me at school. Only thing I'd like to get some tips on is removing the diff. I have the directions from all data but experience is always better then paper.

I would be removing and installing diff at home and doing the gear install at school. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
I did my own install,,,but I have done many installs in the past.Also to do it 100% correct requires a case spreader,,,I don't have one and my gears are still whisper quiet so :shrug:

Here is a link to the thread I posted on my install---->3.73 Install!!

Venimus03

Established Member
I installed 3.73's on my fox body I used to have. My shop teacher helped me at the time. It was my first time doing it and it took a while. It actually isn't all that bad as long as your teacher can correctly shim the gears and and is willing to help you out. Be sure you have a press to take off and put on the new bearings too...

Users who are viewing this thread