Has anyone run their L on E-85?

TJ@RPMtrans

Established Member
I am seriously looking at getting a multi-program chip and getting a program for E-85, I know that I have to look at fuel volume ( size of injectors/pumps) because E-85 takes 30% more, but its 105 octane and its more than 30% cheaper than 93 right now.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Only one place around here that i know of and its an hour away in Boston. So its not even close to being on my mind

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Maybe Eric can chime in, but I'm pretty sure it's more than just the tune that needs to be changed.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'm waiting for it to become available near me so I can write a tune for it also. The cost savings will be easily offset by the added amount of fuel needed to achieve the same net effect of power so that's a wash but the higher octane and cooling effects are a big plus IMO.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Info for our application is limited, nothing on SCT's forum really about how much extra flow is needed. Even on a built setup like mine with a street tune I'm pretty sure the 60's will hold out but turning it up any past that would require bigger squirters for sure. The other drawback is that the widebands (Dynojets anyways) don't have a tweak for E85 yet, you can get a software download for straight alcohol/methanol so it will read correctly but that's all.

capt1515

I WANA GO FAST !
Established Member
Fade , What kind of boost are you running with your 3.4 and are your 60 pounders close to maxing out ?

qwklightning

Established Member
It sounds like a great idea but you have to keep in mind the E-85 is alcohol based, 85% alcohol 15% gas, and alcohol is very corrosive. So rubber fuel lines and certain metals, magnesium and aluminum, in our fuel systems may eventually fail. Stainless steel lines and fuel tanks would be required. I would love to see someone come out with a complete conversion for our cars. Would be nice to lessen our dependency on foriegn oil.

ViciousJay

Established Member
im waiting too... even on a stock motor you will see at least a 15 hp increase! also is it worth the swap... i guess time will tell

white01

T76GTS Power
Established Member
I plan on this once I can afford the fuel system to run with my turbo set-up. Pump gas race fuel....should be great for turbo vehicles. Ive been told that I would need at least 96# injectors, upgrade rails, lines and better pumps. Also been told that the fuel is very forgiving when it comes to timing and detination.

Rich

sorry for the spelling.

TJ@RPMtrans

Established Member
On a stocker, the 42 will technically flow enough. Although if you are modded at all, pullies and what not you need at least 60's. Also, I know a ton of guys running the walbro pumps with e-85 and none of them have had an issue yet. Also, E-85 isnt that corrosive becuase of the 15% gas and also they add lubricants to it so our fuel lines and the such should be fine. If you have a big power L with a 3.4 or a big turbo you will need big an fuel lines and fuel rails with huge injectors and a huge pump.

E-85 takes aprox, 30% more than gas all the way across the board.

I know for a fact that there are regular cars out there that they just put 30% larger injectors in the car and didn't change the tune and they run perfect.

I don't trust that very much with my L, but its been done hundreds of times.

ecoastkid

Established Member
As far as I have read, most manufactures have made the fuel systems in cars e-85 compatatable for a good 10 years. Keeps cost down instead of having multiple sources for a similar part. Pumps, injectors, and tune should be fine on non heavily modded L's...Big hp trucks might need fuel lines and rails to support the extra flow.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Anyone know what exactly would have to be done, as far as hardware goes, to make this work?

with out getting into the math... your basicly going to need to almost DOUBLE your fuel supply needs.

you would honestly need to run a HUGE external pump and big lines and huge injectors. most of the really high horsepower cars ive seen running alky run belt driven pumps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread