Has anyone used the JDM engineering 1200hp rebuild kit for the iron blocks?

RBB

Established Member
If I purchase this kit and upgrade the cams since I only wanna do this once is it even possible to upgrade cams if I’m only running 93?

If any set of cams exceeds the HP limit of 93 I guess my tuner can DEtune it???
Either way I’m doing the kit just didn’t know if the cams would be worth it.
Thanks
There's not really a HP limit on 93 octane. You hear about "HP limits" because most of our GT500s are running the same general combination of mods, so they all make around the same amount of power on whatever octane you're running. Your tuner will give it as much timing as it can take before it knocks....however much HP that makes is what it is. Cams will be nothing but beneficial if you're looking to pick up more HP, regardless of octane. I've been running JDM cams on 93 octane for almost a year now, there are no issues....no E-85 in my area yet, but I hear it's coming soon.

genesmob

Established Member
JDM uses H beams in all their builds up to about 1200HP. How many miles are on your car? As long as your plasma spray liners look good and can handle a light hone you'd be fine just upgrading to those JDM H beams and re-using the stock pistons on an 800HP build.

I think JDM uses H beams in all of their builds even well over 1200

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds good I’ll give them a shout. See what I can find. Running stock cams would you consider running the original timing stuff? I’ll obviously change out the oil pump gear along with the crank gear

Let me know how it goes. RBB has you covered for your plans he's listed all the solids mods I've done.
And you have a blower ready for 900+rwhp if you have the octane.
Good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If I purchase this kit and upgrade the cams since I only wanna do this once is it even possible to upgrade cams if I’m only running 93?

If any set of cams exceeds the HP limit of 93 I guess my tuner can DEtune it???
Either way I’m doing the kit just didn’t know if the cams would be worth it.
Thanks
It's tough on 93 but another thought is the '13-14 GT500 stock cams, which are same as '05-06 Ford GT supercar cams. I have 2 sets of stock cams and new springs to match. They peaked at 6500-6600 on my '14
GT500 and for a car your not taking to track much or rarely racing, they are MUCH better than '07-12 cams.
Good luck on the build.
-J

hostile500

Established Member
Let me know how it goes. RBB has you covered for your plans he's listed all the solids mods I've done.
And you have a blower ready for 900+rwhp if you have the octane.
Good luck.
-J

I got in touch with JDM yesterday. Apparently they make a full Rebuild kit for the 5.8, it’s just not posted on there website. It will be the same as the 5.4 just different pistons and rings for an added extra cost of $200 over the 5.4 price. I’ll be ordering it tomorrow and hope to have it ready for spring.

RBB

Established Member
I got in touch with JDM yesterday. Apparently they make a full Rebuild kit for the 5.8, it’s just not posted on there website. It will be the same as the 5.4 just different pistons and rings for an added extra cost of $200 over the 5.4 price. I’ll be ordering it tomorrow and hope to have it ready for spring.

Nice. Looking forward to see how that goes. Sounds like you’ve got all the bases covered. What have you decided on cams and timing components?

hostile500

Established Member
Nice. Looking forward to see how that goes. Sounds like you’ve got all the bases covered. What have you decided on cams and timing components?

Depending on the funds left over I might go with the comp SS cams. Not sure about the timing stuff yet. Maybe the mmr stuff. Not familiar with many others.

hostile500

Established Member
Update: spoke with the guys at JDM yesterday. What a great group of guys over there. I will definitely be doing business with them again. I ended up purchasing the full lower rebuild kit along with all new timing rebuild kit. Instead of just selling me products they explained which products I needed and the ones I was wasting my money on. Very stand up group. If youve never done business with them I would give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RBB

Established Member
Update: spoke with the guys at JDM yesterday. What a great group of guys over there. I will definitely be doing business with them again. I ended up purchasing the full lower rebuild kit along with all new timing rebuild kit. Instead of just selling me products they explained which products I needed and the ones I was wasting my money on. Very stand up group. If youve never done business with them I would give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Agreed, they’re great to do business with. They’re not in the business of selling you stuff you don’t need just to make a buck either. That was one of the first things I noticed when dealing with Jim....he will flat out tell you not to waste your money where you don’t need to.

Good luck with the rebuild, hostile.

Users who are viewing this thread