have a problem and need help asap

03ineedacobra

Banned
i have a 98 cobra and i just recently put it all back to stock pretty much besides bolt ons and i got it running today and the alternator was bad,so i drove it around and it would kil my battery..so i got a new one and installed it perfect,and everytime i crank the car i can rev it up while its idling but if i put it in gear and hit the gas it will blow the fuel pump fuse 20 amp in the power dist box..

so i replaced it like 6 times till advance ran out and tried all sorts of things and my car is still stuck there..

its been driven maybe 200 miles in over 2 years and and it has a vortech fuel pump on it along with a kirbin fuel pressure reg and its never done this till now..let me know what yall think because people around here have no clue..whoever comes up i will paypal 20$ if thats the problem..

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Are you sure you got the stock spec alternator? Meaning not pushing to many amps?

Did you change any of the wiring, because there may not be enough resistance to 'slow' the current down.

I'm no electrician, but those are the things from the top of my head.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
get a volt meter and measure what the output from the alt. It could be running too much voltage..

c9obr6a

Established Member
Do you have a in tank and out of tank fuel pump? Check the relay in the trunk see if the wire from there has worn threw and is causing a short during load. Also if your you have a out of tank vortech pump disconnect it and try it.

Last edited:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Is the alternator pulley smaller than stock, or the crank pulley oversized causing the alternator to increase output dramatically?

Oh, and double popcarrrns.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I cleaned the thread up. If the response is not about the op, then stay out. Take your problems to PMs, or to smackdown.

-Jeff

03ineedacobra

Banned
ok fellows i got an certified electrician tech and we got a wiring diagram and used a test light in the spot of the fuel pump fuse and followed it all the way to the passenger saide behind the computer and if u unplug a black plug in (which we couldnt find it in the hanes manual,or a complete wiring diag. the light will go off..so after about 3 hours of all this (taking the wheel off,cutting alot of tape and moving alot of stuff we were on a goose chase..

we followed the black connection and it goes under the glove,then behind the radio,then up over by the steering wheel,then by the hood lach and who know where else..and there is atleast 15+ connections in between to disconnect and check if that damn light goes out...

pleassseeeee help

03ineedacobra

Banned
yes we check the fuel pump relay,inericia switch,took the outline fuel pump out,and the tech thinks there is a frayed wire somewhere in between that

Users who are viewing this thread