Have a unique idea for an exhaust setup

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
I currently have a Bassani x-pipe w/ removable cats and a Bassani catback. I had a OR x pipe on previously but it just got to be too loud since I drive a vert. I find that the car is too quiet with the cats on. Don't flame me but what do you think the car would sound like if I remove the cat on one side and leave it on the other side. I know it sounds like a weird idea but I figure it wouldnt harm anything to give it a try.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
how about, put the cats back on and then get some dumps made for the mufflers that you can pop in and out. Leave the tips hangning out the back.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
well... to me, putting on only 1 cat to quite it down a little is just like putting on only one shoe because the sand on the beach is hot.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
And let's consider the effect this might have on the engine airflow & backpressure...I'm sure there's some slight variation even with both cats installed, but taking one out and leaving one in---I wouldn't try it. Could impact your tune, one bank of cylinders slightly leaner than the other, check engine lights, etc.

The better idea would be to try a different catback, maybe the Stinger or SLP if you want to go louder with the cats in...

On the other hand, if you end up changing to a different x-pipe, let me know if you want to sell your Bassani catted X.

foreprecision

Established Member
Just an idea from the LS1 world...some people added Flowmaster Race Bullets in the Y-pipe (where the cats would be) to deal with the raspiness of not running cats.

Anybody tried that on a Mustang? I've got a Bassani o/r x pipe coming next week, and I'm a little concerned.

moonltgold

foreprecision said:
Just an idea from the LS1 world...some people added Flowmaster Race Bullets in the Y-pipe (where the cats would be) to deal with the raspiness of not running cats.

Anybody tried that on a Mustang? I've got a Bassani o/r x pipe coming next week, and I'm a little concerned.

Clearance might be a serious issue on a lowered car.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
flsupraguy said:
I currently have a Bassani x-pipe w/ removable cats and a Bassani catback. I had a OR x pipe on previously but it just got to be too loud since I drive a vert. I find that the car is too quiet with the cats on. Don't flame me but what do you think the car would sound like if I remove the cat on one side and leave it on the other side. I know it sounds like a weird idea but I figure it wouldnt harm anything to give it a try.

This is a bad idea for balance reasons. You'd have a restriction in one side of the motor that doesn't exist in the other. Not only would it hurt ultimate power production, but you could put your motor at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread