Having a hard time. Serious conversation

Azsnake

Established Member
I graduated from ASU in May 2012. I made it a priority of graduating in four years and worked hard. I graduated with a Political Science degree (say what you wish). Originally I was planing on going to law school or graduate school but as many know, the law field is over saturated at the moment and I can't afford the gamble I'm still working at the same company as I was during college and while I've been promoted and make okay money, its not fulfilling. I've had two promising interviews since I graduated, but unfortunately neither lead to employment. Right now I'm having a hard time in life trying to keep my chin up. There are many days the outlook seems dim. Other graduates I've spoken to are having similar difficulties.

Any other graduates having similar experiences? Words of wisdom or advice are welcome of course.

Max

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
You're not alone. A recent study showed that only 56% of college graduates under the age of 25 are employed in jobs that require a college degree. 22% are unemployed and 22% are "underemployed" (working jobs that don't require a degree). Another study found that 41% of all college graduates are over-qualified for the jobs they are in...in other words, they are doing what they need to do to get by and earn a paycheck. They aren't fulfilled by their jobs.

So...have you defined the job or career path that will fulfill you? If not, that is a problem. It is hard to find what you are looking for if you don't know what it is. Also, if you do know what career path will fulfill you, what have YOU done to make it happen?

Take a look at this perspective: The 3 Secrets of Highly Successful Graduates

Get busy, don't wallow in self-pity, it does no good. If you don't know what you want or don't know how to get what you want, seek help from qualified people who can help you. Surround yourself with people who will support you but who won't sympathize with you. Sympathy won't get you anything!

Don't wait for it to happen for you...do something about it! Don't be like all these other grads who wonder aimlessly!

FYI, I'm a high level administrator at a university and I hear stories like your's every day. It takes work to find what you are looking for. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, and you're only going to get out what you put in, so get busy putting in the work to make it happen. And I truly believe calculated risk is a big part of success after graduation, just like the slide show outlines. Identify what that risk is for you and swing away. As Red from Shawshank Redemption said, "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

Last edited:

Azsnake

Established Member
You're not alone. A recent study showed that only 56% of college graduates under the age of 25 are employed in jobs that require a college degree. 22% are unemployed and 22% are "underemployed" (working jobs that don't require a degree). Another study found that 41% of all college graduates are over-qualified for the jobs they are in...in other words, they are doing what they need to do to get by and earn a paycheck. They aren't fulfilled by their jobs.

So...have you defined the job or career path that will fulfill you? If not, that is a problem. It is hard to find what you are looking for if you don't know what it is. Also, if you do know what career path will fulfill you, what have YOU done to make it happen?

Take a look at this perspective: The 3 Secrets of Highly Successful Graduates

Get busy, don't wallow in self-pity, it does no good. If you don't know what you want or don't know how to get what you want, seek help from qualified people who can help you. Surround yourself with people who will support you but who won't sympathize with you. Sympathy won't get you anything!

Don't wait for it to happen for you...do something about it! Don't be like all these other grads who wonder aimlessly!

FYI, I'm a high level administrator at a university and I hear stories like your's every day. It takes work to find what you are looking for. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, and you're only going to get out what you put in, so get busy putting in the work to make it happen. And I truly believe calculated risk is a big part of success after graduation, just like the slide show outlines. Identify what that risk is for you and swing away. As Red from Shawshank Redemption said, "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

You're absolutely right. I need to hit the job market hard and have clearer goals in place. I will take a look at that slide show as well. I truly appreciate your help and time.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
You're absolutely right. I need to hit the job market hard and have clearer goals in place. I will take a look at that slide show as well. I truly appreciate your help and time.

No problem. I also think many grads don't understand what it means to "hit the job market." It doesn't mean looking for jobs on indeed.com and having your resume critiqued by someone in career services at your university. It means working it...HARD. Networking, making connections, using already-established connections to find what you are looking for, asking questions about what others do and how they got to where they are, looking inward at who you are, what you value, and what you possess that is marketable and how that can translate into a career.

It isn't easy, and it is the most important thing you can do for yourself. Be intentional about what you are doing and find people who can help you make it happen, but it has to come from you. Good luck!

FIVEHOE

Established Member
congrats on graduating! I'll be graduating from ASU next year :)

but do not sweat the small things, pretty much everyone I know who has graduated is either unemployed, or went back for grad school. About the only one of my friends who has graduated and has a solid job, is making around 17.50 an hour. so it's nothing crazy. I'd say hang it out at your current place and continue to look for a career, or maybe consider going back to school for a different degree your interested in?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Your not the only one in this boat. You and millions of others. Like Jpro said, spend time making connections and getting to know the people in the field your trying to get into. In this day and age it comes down to connections and who you know most of the time. You spend your money and parents money on a college education and then come to find out there's no jobs when you graduate. Pretty shitty feeling. I have a friend who just graduated nursing school last year she's applied for over 200 jobs,... didn't even get an interview. I had another friend who had a connection at a hospital and got hired with them as soon as she graduated. Only application she filled out. Is she more qualified than the other girl? Not at all. But, it's sad to say she knew someone when the other one didn't. Keep your chin up man. There's lots of well paying jobs out there and connections to be made. Shit I have friends who make half of what I do who have college degrees and I never finished college and I make twice as much. All because I knew someone.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Law school became the backup plan for everyone with degrees that wasn't hire-able in this economy. Fortunately most of these "I guess I'll go to law school" people will weed themselves out of the job market as time goes by. You need to think long term. The job market for lawyers sucks now BUT eventually it will work itself out, hopefully somewhat while you're in school. 10, 20 years from now is what's important. I know quite a few law grads, they all ended up with jobs. They are shitty paying compared to what think they should be making. Also keep in mind the law degree can make you much more appealing for other jobs as well. My cousin got a nice government position and he was hired because he was the only applicant that went to law school. While totally unrelated it made the difference.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
Quit being a girl. Last time i checked ( unless you left something out) your Healthy, Have all your limbs and actually have a job. Tough times dont last but tough people do. There were some Days in the Marines i was just happy to wake up alive. Just because you havent found a job now, doesnt mean you Wont ever find one. Be diligent and patient your time will come!

o2gt

Established Member
I graduated from ASU in May 2012. I made it a priority of graduating in four years and worked hard. I graduated with a Political Science degree (say what you wish). Originally I was planing on going to law school or graduate school but as many know, the law field is over saturated at the moment and I can't afford the gamble I'm still working at the same company as I was during college and while I've been promoted and make okay money, its not fulfilling. I've had two promising interviews since I graduated, but unfortunately neither lead to employment. Right now I'm having a hard time in life trying to keep my chin up. There are many days the outlook seems dim. Other graduates I've spoken to are having similar difficulties.

Any other graduates having similar experiences? Words of wisdom or advice are welcome of course.

Max

I also graduated in political science baylor/texas Tech. I ended up in law school just finished my first year and i can honestly say I love it. it can get expensive but i would recommend it if you have a strong interest in it. the market might not be the best in some places but at the end of the day i will have a degree in a field i like that i can do many things with.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Its definitely not an easy road, ....just as most roads are riddled with potholes and ripples. I wasn't happy for a long time, so I went back to school finished my 'basic' 4 year degree, then found myself job hunting again. Took the first job I found. Been there for just about 3 years. Does it offer any sort of fulfillment? .....well, at least its a job right? ...I'm always on the hunt. Another thing, don't limit yourself to a certain location; be prepared to seek out opportunities elsewhere. (my mistake: wanting to stay in SC). Good luck, you can do it!

Adower

Established Member
Just as a bunch of others had said. It's you and millions that are in the same position. At my job we just hired someone with a MBA to do basic admin office work. We eve had people fly in from other states for this same basic admin job.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The US is projected to create around 120K new jobs till 2020 that require this skillset: Software Developers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Do you know how many CompSci graduates are projected to come out in that period that might qualify for this field? About 40K.

A) It's good for me, because it makes me that much more valuable, as a Software Engineer myself.
B) It's bad for me, because I'll have to pay out my ass to hire someone competent, or hire someone from overseas, or [lord help me] outsource.

EDIT: In case you didn't bother clicking on my link, the median pay for software devs is around $90K.

The point is, the jobs and the money are there, you just have to pick the right fields. Right now, it's software and healthcare.

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I just graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering. I was lucky enough to find employment but many of the guys I graduated with were not, so it's not something that only applies to liberal arts majors. Even my job is less than optimal, at least for the first few years. I'll be out in the oil fields for the next 5 years or so and while the pay is excellent and I'll have almost zero living expenses I am still sacrificing a ton to advance my career. I'm sure I'll lose touch with all but the closest of friends and I'm sure my relationship will not last, but it will be worth it in the end.

I'm just glad I partied it up while in school rather than studying all the time, because there sure as hell aren't girls like I'm used to up in ND. Gonna be a lonely winter this year, that's for damn sure.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

Max

Having a hard time myself. 24 and still having trouble finding a "real" job. Done the part time minimum wage thing my whole life. Interviewed for quite a few jobs I would like to have but none of them led to anything. The last one I had, last Friday, I am still waiting to hear from.

My sister got a 4 year degree from USC (South Carolina) and she has trouble as well finding a job that she likes. Times are pretty tough right now but just keep looking and you'll eventually find something.

Machdup1

Established Member
Truth #1: No one is going to hand you a fulfilling career. You need to evaluate what you want, create a realistic plan to get there and then you will have to bust your ass and sacrifice for the next 10 or 15 years to achieve you goals. If you are not willing to do that, enjoy the fruits of being average. Planning, hard work and sacrifice are the keys.

Truth #2: There are no careers that are too saturated for those at the top of their game. If you want to be a lawyer, be a great lawyer and you will find plenty of room.

Truth #3: A college diploma doesn't buy you a career. You are at the bottom see Truth # 1 as how to progress forward.

Truth #4: A happy fulfilling career is a dream sold to suckers who will never be happy or fulfilled. My father explained it this way, if you are happy a quarter of the time, you are not working hard enough.

Truth #5: You will not get to the top without a mentor. Find one and listen to them.

Inverse Truth #5: Mentors don't help those that are not following Truth #1.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ pretty good.

The mentor suggestion falls under "It's not what you know, it's who you know" rule. That key alone can open many doors that will otherwise not be available to you.

Sooo many times I've seen guys get hired because they had just enough of a personal connection with someone in a hiring position of a company. Sometimes this plays between companies too.

Example:

You work for Company A. You're friends with Boss @ company B. Boss B doesn't have a need to hire you, but strongly suggests you to his friend @ Company C that he needs to hire his buddy from A. In which, C simply interviewed A over the phone, never met in person until AFTER they hired him and sent him for further training/licensing.

This scenario actually happened. They hired him, sent him for $50k in training, upped his yearly salary 25%+ and paid to move him.

So make acquaintances where you can. Not saying be a brown nose, but it helps when the higher-ups "know" who you are and you're not just a name/number/face that stumbles into the office reporting for lab rat duties. Go BE somebody. Just be careful not to be "that guy" chumming it everywhere with everyone. It's a balance.

Azsnake

Established Member
All of these responses are excellent! Maybe the law field is where I need to head then. It means a lot to hear the truth and advice from you all and encouraging to know there are others on the forum with similar situations. I bust my ass everyday and would for any job no matter the paycheck.

jshen

Established Member
Law?

Ok, here is where I need to pitch my 2 cents worth. The law career sounds like fun...but as one who was in your place-I suggest you think long and hard over it. I graduated as an Industrial Engineer from a major engineering school and like you, found the job market locked. I did what I truly wanted to do- became a police officer! Loved it and every day was a hoot! However, I attended law school and it was no cake walk- especially working nights and going to school days..but I became a lawyer. Result? Looking for job as this occupation was, and is, very tight. Unless you graduate from a prestigious law school with honors or law review- you may find what I did- no job offerings. I then went back to what I enjoy--but converted being a cop to being a prosecuting attorney..and that wasn't easy around here AND the money isn't good but it was a damn sight better than the "scratch and dent" lawyers around me. Those guys are starving..and having to take court appointed indigent cases for next to nothing. New lawyers can expect very little money AND have to put in 2000-2500 "billable" hours with a firm or get canned. As for govt. lawyers, salary sucked but as least I got to work with police and be on the right side...at a cost! Expect to start working 18 hour days for a couple years until you become proficient enough to handle yourself- as criminal trial work is not easy, people are depending on you and failure means bad guy got away or wrong person got convicted.

I rattled on just too say- think carefully about what you want to do- if you don't love the field of law- it will kill you. All of my time is consumed by cases- even when I am away from my office I think about cases and angles with which to address legal issues... I am retired now and handling cases for fun but ya gotta love this business- if not? it isn't right for you!

Good Luck, Jeff

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
there are too many lawyers in this country---period. find something else, and follow some of the great advice given above

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Don't go back to school just because you can't find the job you want. That's stupid. In my experience putting on your Sunday best and knocking on doors has worked better than Monster.com.

Users who are viewing this thread