having issues drilling lower intake

baja5bss

Established Member
Alright,after gathering stuff for the past couple weeks for the coolant crossover mod and painting the lower intake i decided to drill/tap the lower intake today.Well I drilled a pilot hole in the drivers side,like a dumb ass i used a step drill bit to start drilling after i made the pilot hole.After i got to the size i needed to the hole to be i realized what i had done and got out a regular drill bit but noticed that it doesnt want to drill a clean hole.It wants to do its own thing.The drill bit isnt bent and when i spin it,it spins true.But its using the outer edge of the drill bit and its all over the place.Same thing when i try to drill the passenger side after i took out the metal L elbow.(for the coolant to go from passenger head to heater core). Is there anything i can do to save this project and keep me from buying a new lower intake?Thanks in advance.

The 1/2npt tap that i am using recommends a 45/64 bit,the closest thing i have locally is a 11/16,which is 1/64th off.So if anyone has that bit they can see what im talking about on the passenger side coolant tube.

This is what im doing.http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...d.php?t=104587

baja5bss

Established Member
Alright,i cant get my laptop to recognize my pictures for some stupid reason(i dont have my main computer available at the moment) but lets just say i eff'ed up...the drivers side,i went to tap it and its hard to keep the tap straight(since you have to use a ratchet and a socket to tap the threads..and also,the jb weld was way to soft and the threads it made into it are all messed up,so what are my options from here? is there a harder material that I can put in the hole i drilled(and half ass tap'd) and re do the whole thing or am i sol?Thanks.

Dash808

Established Member
Can you go up one size and recap?

I usually give a little tap on the tap to get it started straight.

And why are you using JB weld?

baja5bss

Established Member
well i ended up buying a modded lower intake,so i can try to save this one but if i dont its no problem.I used jb weld because someone said it would work,well it would,but when you tap threads into it,they are really soft and wont hold up.Even though they say you can drill and tap jb weld i call bs..So i have to remove the jb weld and see if i can find someone locally that can weld aluminum,then have the intake resurfaced,so it will be on the back burner for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread