Having my eye on a 08 GT500

MarioGT

Established Member
Hello guys

I've been researching and doing lots of reading on 07-09 GT500. And trying to see if it'll be a good choice to own one for daily driving.

In my country 07-09 GT500's are very rare, and to be precise we only have 3 cars (White, Red, and Black)

I've stumbled on a 08 Black Gt500 with 33,000 miles. The car is completely stock other than a Excedy clutch and flywheel.

My question, would you guys recommend me buying it? How well does the car run, and are there any major issues I should be aware of other than the clutch?

I know it might not be a good idea mentioning it. But I also have another car in mind which is a silver 2010 Camaro SS LS3 (RS package) with only 20,000 miles on the clock.

The Camaro is cheaper than GT500 by Almost 8500$.

Hope I won't get flamed for even mentioning the Camaro lol.

I would love to see what do you guys think. And love to hear whats your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
no major problems with the 07-09. If the clutch has already been done you are golden.

The Camaro is ugly, won't hold value, and it's not supercharged :)

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
Picked up my 2008 GT500 in early 2011. No issues whatsoever with the car. I am still on the factory clutch and haven't had any issues with it.

It's also interesting that there have been no recalls on the GT500 in the time that I have owned it. Not so much for my Toyota Tacoma or the wife's Chevy Malibu, which are both on 3 recalls.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Got my 08 with 32k on it and now has 35k with no problems at all. Been told it does not have the stock clutch but do not know which one is in it.

MarioGT

Established Member
Appreciate all the input guys.
May I ask if the car suffers from any kind of suspension/frontend rattle, and if the cabin is solid (no rattle or squeaks)

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
What's the weather like year round? It's definitely not a good winter car for snow. I'm assuming Jordan is hot year round but by no means am I an expert in geography lol. I have an 08 and love it. A Shelby will def not depreciate as much as the Camaro and like mentioned the Camaro's are ugly.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Appreciate all the input guys.
May I ask if the car suffers from any kind of suspension/frontend rattle, and if the cabin is solid (no rattle or squeaks)

I have an '07 and there aren't any rattles or squeaks aside from what I've done to it suspension-wise. They are solid cars with minimal issues with them. You won't be disappointed with the car over all. I think you'll find that it's a heavy pig and the 500hp doesn't seem like 500hp. However, there a lots of vendors on here that can get the car where it needs to be to keep you smiling ear to ear!

Speedboosted

Established Member
The 5th gen Camaro's aren't that ugly, but definitely get the Shelby if you can afford the extra money. I would imagine that after 5-6 years, the extra money you spent on the Shelby will be worth it in terms of resale value.

They 07-09's are tough as nails aside from clutch and the '07 balancer, which you don't have to worry about either. Over time rattles and what not will develop, that's just the nature of the early S197 cars. I'd say go for it

MarioGT

Established Member
Love to hear all your replies guys. That's what I wanted to hear lol.

The Shelby it is! I'll keep you posted once I get the deal done :)

@brian98svtsnake we get all 4 seasons here. Snow isn't an issue as it hardly snow in winter.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
No, they are just fine unless you start using a lower pulley. If you do use a lower pulley though, billet pro shop has a pulley that you can install on the alternator to slow it back down. It's the rpms that kill them. The pulley from BPS helps to prolong the life.

MarioGT

Established Member
No, they are just fine unless you start using a lower pulley. If you do use a lower pulley though, billet pro shop has a pulley that you can install on the alternator to slow it back down. It's the rpms that kill them. The pulley from BPS helps to prolong the life.
Thanks for the tip

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
MarioGT - any Terminators over there? Would love to see some photo shoot pics with some American muscle and some local urban scenes from over there.

MarioGT

Established Member
MarioGT - any Terminators over there? Would love to see some photo shoot pics with some American muscle and some local urban scenes from over there.
We do have only 1 Terminator. Owned by a guy that babies the hell out of it. Last time he had her on a Mustang dyno it did something like 800whp.

I highly doubt he'll do a photoshoot lol.

I promise you if everything went well and I got my hands on that Shelby I'll do the photoshoot for you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread