Having Problems with LFP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

04xlightningx04

Established Member
I am having a problem with LFP (Lightning Force Performance) and have been for months so I thought I would ask your opinion on what I should do. I don’t want to cause any problems I just want this resolved.

As I’m sure many of you know a few months ago I blew my stock block. I called around and priced short blocks and decided that I would go with LFP because they were a well known company that was highly recommended. The main reason that I chose them was because they had a block ready to ship the day I called. Since my L is my daily driver and I commute a long distance to work getting my truck running ASAP was very important.

After the block arrived at the shop that was doing the swap I received a call from them telling me that the head gaskets and bolts were missing. That was the first problem I had with them. I purchased the missing parts from the shop because I couldn’t wait to have LFP ship me new parts. I called Mark at LFP that day and advised him of the problem. He was somewhat cooperative and, after many phone calls, did refund me for the cost of the parts. If that would have been the only problem that had come up I wouldn’t be writing this.

After the block was installed I noticed a knocking noise especially on start up. I called Mark again and he wanted my shop to re-check their work. He didn't want to point any fingers, but did imply that it was installed incorrectly. My shop insisted, however, that it was just piston slap.

I called a few times with more concern about the knocking. It just didn’t seem right to me, but everyone agreed it was just piston slap. At that time Mark told me to drive my L to the fullest and if anything happened he would stand behind the block. I did my initial break in exactly how I was instructed to. I got my oil and filter changed and I had my shop re-tune my truck.

A few days later my L started making a really, really loud knocking sound. When I took it back to the shop they said it sounded like a bad #7 rod bearing. I called LFP and they told me to have my shop take out the block and send it to them so they could inspect it. My shop took out the block and found that the #7 cylinder boar was out of round. I didn’t tell LFP that the shop took it apart at the time because they wanted to inspect it themselves, but did end up telling Mark before he received the bad block.

They were supposed to schedule the return shipment of the block, which took a ridiculously long time. They had every excuse in the book about their shipping company. After many, many, many phone calls and no word they finally scheduled a pick up for the block. At that time Mark told me that they had some new blocks coming in the middle of the next week and he was going to set one aside “just for me”.

At this time I had to call several times a day and nobody would talk to me. It is near impossible to get anyone to answer the phone or return a phone call. After no word from anyone for days, me calling every day as usual, I finally got Mark, who, once again, blamed the shipping company, saying they were trying to deliver the block to the wrong warehouse. He said that he told the shipping company to hold it at the dock for pick up in the morning. He said that as soon as they picked up the block it would be a very short time (a few hours) to inspect it.

At this time I started to question how much of the labor charges he was going to reimburse me for. He told me he would cover half. I argued that and told him I was not happy with him only covering half of the costs since this was an issue that had been documented from the day the block was installed. He insisted on talking to the manufacturer of the block and getting back with me. I then asked him when they were going to ship out the new block and he told me they didn’t have one anymore. He claimed that he never said he had a new block for me and that I had to wait for the manufacturer to build more.

I called him two days later and he did at least admit that the defect was on their end, but that they needed to talk to the manufacturer of the block to see what the next step was. He claimed that this was the first time he had ever experienced something like this and didn’t know how to handle it. At this point I started getting very impatient since I had been borrowing a work van from my job and my boss was on my ass every day about it. Besides that, I missed my L!

So, swallowing my pride I agreed to wait for the new block to be built. That however changed from days to weeks and almost months. The whole time I waited for my block I could get no answers as to what they were going to do for me or when the block would be ready. They wouldn’t even give me a ballpark. They’d just say “when it’s ready, it’s ready.”

I told both Mike and Mark many times that I wanted to know what they are paying for because I wanted to spend the money (with them) on heads and cams. I wanted to know then so I would have the time to order them. I couldn’t afford to wait for the heads and cams to arrive after my block. I needed my truck back. Anyway, if I had to pay for the labor I wouldn’t have had the money for the parts. Besides, Mark had gone back on his word before with me. I didn’t know if I could hold him to what he had said about paying half of the labor charges.

Mark told me in the beginning and many times throughout this entire ordeal that he would “take care of me” but would not give me any indication of what that meant. He would repeat it over and over, but not explain or expand on it. I have even had my girlfriend call trying to get a straight answer out of him. We both have a hard time getting Mark on the phone and end up talking to Jesse or Mike, who have nothing to say but “Mark will tell you what he’s going to do for you once the block is shipped.” Which is where I started to assume that he was not going to do anything for me and I would be screwed paying the labor twice on a defective part that was not only defective from day one, but was noted the day the block was installed in my L.

When I finally got a dollar amount it was from Jesse. He said that $1,500.00 was what they would have charged for the labor, so that is what they would refund me. I was happy with that considering what I was going through and how long it was taking.

They first told me they had to wait to send out the check until after they sent the block, which didn't make much sense to me, but I held my tongue. They couldn't even tell me when they would have a block ready for me, even though I was promised one was already on hold for me before I even shipped them the bad block. After the block was finally sent I had to wait to talk to Mark, which took days. I called him numerous times a day and he didn't return my calls.

Finally when I talked to Mark on April 17th he said there was an issue with the block. He stated that it was overheated by the shop that installed it and he wanted to warn me about having the new one installed at the same place. He said the problem with the block was caused by them, but that he was still going to send me the $1,500.00 as he had promised before. At that point Mark told me that if I said anything on the forums that he would post pictures of the overheated block defending himself. I thought this was all a little strange, but I went with it just wanting it all to be over. He told me he was going to send me the pictures, but I still haven't seen them. I doubt they exist. If they do exist I doubt they are pictures of my old block.

I talked to the shop and decided to stick with them because I don't think they did anything wrong with my block. They have been excellent throughout this entire ordeal and I have never ever had any issues with them (they installed the new block and it’s working beautifully). I think Mark was just trying to make it look like he didn't have anything to do with it. If that were really the case why would he still be sending me the money? I didn't ask him. Another thing that I find odd is the money actually came from the builder, not from LFP. That is why, or so they claimed, it took so long. The builder wanted to inspect in great detail the bad block before they cut a check to LFP. Then LFP would cut a check to me. If the block was damaged by the shop installing it the builder would not have sent a check to Mark. I don't buy his story, but I just wanted the money and it to be over with.

A week later I hadn't seen any checks in the mail. I called and called and didn't get a hold of anyone until April 24th. I talked to Jesse and he told me Mark was out of town but there was a note on his desk stating that the check was mailed April 23rd, the previous Monday. I called again on the 27th and talked to Mark. He was very uncooperative and only stated that it "was sent out." He seemed like he had no idea what was going on with me and my situation even though he was the one that was supposed to be handling it. He was so quiet throughout the conversation I had to ask him if he was still there a few times. I reminded him that Jesse told me it was sent on the 23rd and he said "then you should get it today."

The whole weekend went by with no check. Finally on April 30th I talked to Mike who told me the check had been returned because it had the wrong "PO" whatever that meant. I asked him why nobody had called me for an address if that was what they needed and he said "I have the envelope right here ready to mail now." I told him my address 2 or 3 more times just to make sure they had it correct.

It's been one excuse after another putting me off for days at a time. I want to note that I have never ever once received a phone call from their company. I have to call hundreds of times before anyone answers and I'm usually told that I need to talk to Mark who is out.

It has been a long process and a lot of patience and I am at my end. At this point LFP has made this such a mess that I don’t see anything they could do to rectify the situation. They have yet to even apologize once for anything I have gone through. Even if they pay for 100% of the labor costs (which was more than $1,500.00) to put in the new block they can never repay me for the time I have not had a vehicle and the stress and aggravation they have caused. I can't get a hold of them like usual. I have no check. I'm out over $1,500.00 and I'm stressed to the point of wanting to drive to Texas.

Note to Mark at LFP (since you don’t answer your phone or listen when you do):

This did not have to be posted, however I feel I have waited far beyond a fair amount of time before I involved others. I don’t understand why I have been treated so unfairly and I feel responsible to tell my friends this story so they don’t have to go through the same ordeal that I did. Why couldn’t you just apologize once, or call me once? Why did it have to come to this?

Note to Mike: You owe me an apology for hanging up on me. I have every right to be upset and I feel I have been MORE than patient concerning the above stated events.

-Rick

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
As we have discussed Rick I will be in contact with someone at LFP tomorrow to try and get this resolved once and for all. I guess it's too much to ask for the SV to actually post on here any more?

04xlightningx04

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
As we have discussed Rick I will be in contact with someone at LFP tomorrow to try and get this resolved once and for all. I guess it's too much to ask for the SV to actually post on here any more?

Thank you very much. It's nice that someone is willing to help me out.

-Rick

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
Man, like I said in the other thread about them...it's been about three weeks to a month without my parts....No response to calls or emails. SOB!

chuchomula

"Rehab'd Ricer"
Established Member
Fade and LL are the best moderators.... if this was that "other site" your thread would of been locked and gone...

SICKBOY

Established Member
yet another classy vendor...hope it gets dialed for the person involved...LFP has always had sub par service

Last edited:

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
I have never once had an issue with LFP's service, nor have the friends I have reccomended to them, I am sure they will make things right.

JohninMD

Established Member
It seems like the Authorized vendors on here are falling apart like Humpty Dumpty!!!!

Who is left that is reliable and consistant with their service?

MrClean

ADDICTED
Established Member
Had a similar situation with them also. And it's always the same excuses. The shipping company is at fault or the person that installed it screwed it up. It's never their fault. I just don't buy from them anymore.

Good luck getting this worked out

Last edited:

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn. Ive never had any issues with them. I always get my parts within 3 days from when I order them. Except for their traction bars, which I had to wait 3-4 months for.

Lightning_Bolt

2002 Lightning
Established Member
I have had almost this same problem with Lighting Force Performance (LFP), on a convertor I bought from them. I had to drive 4 hours to Houston to get Mark to fix the problem. This was after 3 months of being put on hold, being lied to, given excuses, ignored and not answering my phone calls anymore. As I was being nice to them, never raising my voice, threatning them or trying to bully them. They just would not help me untill I drove up to Houston to find them.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340599

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Wow....please don't tell me this is a second one. :(
I was looking over one of their blocks as well.
Dammit im holding off on a block for now...

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
Dante's Modular Performance in San Diego....nuff said

But I am sure you have some great engine builders local to ya....

Last edited:

01pearlL

400/500 club
Established Member
I've had the same problem with there customer service as welll (not as much money as that but $400 for the xcal2) which is alot to me, 21 yr old with an L payment and a house payment.....

My xcal doesnt datalog..... that is all I want it to do..... im fine with just switching it out for one without there tune (which sucks by the way), but mark keeps telling me that he has to call his tuner and call me back. I finally gave up on the hole situation and have yet to call them back and bitch them out. I simply gave up on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread