having some serious "bucking" issues with the Cobra. The car is down for the count

01SVT2894

Established Member
ok, long story short, on a couple of occasions while driving the Cobra, it would just jerk, maybe once or twice and then go away. :dw:

well, yesterday, when i got in the car to go home from work, it started doing it from the get go! it happens in all gears and it did not go away. I barely got the car home. The RPMs just magically drop and rise again. totally sucks. This happens at idle too.

now, i'm mostly a cosmetic guy... so my tech skills are limited, but i'm learning. after talking with a few guys on my own site, i've learned to look at 3 things... Air. Fuel. Spark (before talking to anyone, i thought it was a transmission issue).

Here is what i've done so far guys...
-cleaned the Idle Air Control
-cleaned the EGR valve
-cleaned the MAF
-bypassed the Crane Cams Fireball ignition in favor of the stock set up
-installed new fuel filter

NONE of these things have done anything. I still have new plug wires, new plugs and a new Ignition Module to install.

I'm hoping maybe some of you guys have seen this before and can point me in a specific spot! i'm including a link to a vid of the gauges from tonight...
at idle, you can see that when the RPMs drop, so does the voltage. When the RPMs jump up to around 2, that is me pressing the gas.

here's the vid...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCsqGaN2PAg"]YouTube - bad idle[/ame]

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
My girlfriends 95 Cobra did this same thing to the point of it being totally un-drivable. She had two issues. (1) The TFI module was slowly taking a dump and (2) the MAF was toast. We tried cleaning the MAF and it worked for a little while but it ended up pooing in the end. Hope this helps man. I spent literally hundreds of dollars on various components before finding these two culprits.

01SVT2894

Established Member
thanks for the replies dudes...

no changes... other than a few cosmetic things... nothing under the hood.

BlueOvalBolt, thanks for the link, i'll check that out.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Battery posts clean of corrosion?
MAF element in good condition?
Did you wash the engine recently?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Really sounds like the TFI, or possibly a bad plug or wire - look for arcing inside the plug ends.

Typically the TFI will quit altogether, as opposed to just a miss or whatever. TFI failures are almost always heat related, and often difficult to diagnose.

I'd also check electrical connections in the engine compartment, especially the MAF connector.

You do need to check for engine codes - they can be present even if CEL isn't lit.

fivestangs

Established Member
I don't think a bad plug or wire is going to cause the idle to jump up to 2000 rpms and stay there....I've had my fair share of bad wires and plugs and the EEC-IV doesn't make the rpms go up that high just for a miss (at least, not on any mustang I've owned).

I think it's definitely electrical, a bad TPS, corrosion in the black/white 'salt and pepper shaker' connections at the firewall, perhaps a bad (read: broken) ground wire (specifically, the ground wire that connects to one of the intake manifold bolts near the firewall).

If you have a buddy with a *good running* 5.0, borrow his TPS (and perhaps his TFI while you're at it), swap it to your car and see if that does any good.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Its electrical check TFI , clean coil 12 volt wire contacts, check coil, check coil wire to distributor (high voltage) you're losing spark somehow in primary or secondary circuit. Basically check/clean all electrical connections, then start swapping parts if available. Good Luck

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I don't think a bad plug or wire is going to cause the idle to jump up to 2000 rpms and stay there....I've had my fair share of bad wires and plugs and the EEC-IV doesn't make the rpms go up that high just for a miss (at least, not on any mustang I've owned).

I think it's definitely electrical, a bad TPS, corrosion in the black/white 'salt and pepper shaker' connections at the firewall, perhaps a bad (read: broken) ground wire (specifically, the ground wire that connects to one of the intake manifold bolts near the firewall).

If you have a buddy with a *good running* 5.0, borrow his TPS (and perhaps his TFI while you're at it), swap it to your car and see if that does any good.

I don't see where he said anything about the EEC bumping the idle to 2k rpm. From the video, it sounds like its missing on a single cylinder, which leads me to believe a plug or wire is the primary culprit. Bad tps Is a possibility but it really sounds like a single cylinder miss to me.

If you have aftermarket exhaust, look closely at the plug ends on the wires. I had a very similar misfire and found my header had heated the plug end enough to harden and crack the insulation. New wire, some fiberglass wrap and problem solved.

01SVT2894

Established Member
no no, i pressed the gas to make the RPMs shoot up to 2000.
the battery is BRAND NEW, not even a week old.. this was happening before i bought a new battery.
i did wash the engine bay... but this happened before i did that.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
You might want to also check distributor spout connector wire connections. Pull spout and see if rpm drop/ miss stops. It appears from listening/watching the video that your getting an rpm instantaneous drop not necessarily a miss. If it was my car, I'd be checking as many wire connections possible before I took it to a shop.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread