Hayden 3647 Fan Controller - Help!

CCM302

Established Member
I just installed the Hayden controller on my 93 cobra and I can't seem to get it to turn on. I checked and double checked my grounds. In line fuse is fine and relay seems fine. Not quite sure what the hold up is. I tapped into the Red/Lt Grn wire coming off the ignition module (which is hot in run or start) for my ignition signal wire (yellow). Anybody ever installed one of these or have any idea what I might be doing wrong? I'm fairly certain that everything is wired properly. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: That was kinda vague. Here's my schematic (these are wires coming off the relay) -
Red - power - connected to positive of battery
Black - ground - grounded to chassis
Orange - power output to fan - connected to positive of fan
Blue - secondary power output to fan (for mulitple fans) - grounded to negative of battery
Green - A/C Clutch signal (turns fan on when A/C on) - tied off/taped up
Yellow - Ignition signal - tapped into red/lt grn coming into distributor

Link to the instructions: http://www.haydenauto.com/Upload/Ha...tructionSheets/P-475-3647-fan-controllers.pdf

Last edited:

venomisback

Big Member
Established Member
Why do you have the blue wire grounded? I tied mine off.

I just ran this controller a few weeks ago. I'm controlling a 75A relay that kicks on my fans.

CCM302

Established Member
Yea, I ended up doing that. I got in touch with Hayden late the other day and went through all their diagnostics. It was a bad unit per them. Got a new one and bam, the fan turned on with the car. But, now the problem is when I leave the complimentary 25 amp fuse in, it blows it after about 10-15 minutes of driving. I put a 30 in and it's fine but doesn't seem to cool as efficiently. It's kinda strange. It goes almost all the way up to the O and sometimes the N of "NORMAL" on the temp gauge. I'm not sure how normal that is or if these temp gauges are even accurate. This is my first 5.0. And now I can hear a bubbling sound at idle after changing the radiator and fluid out. I can hear the bubbling as soong as I crank the car up even on a cold start. Air in the line perhaps? Any thoughts on any of this is appreciated too.

Last edited:

JoeRacer

Established Member
The stock gauge is not the most accurate, but with a properly functioning temp sending unit you should never see it that high. You may not have properly bled all the air out of the system, so there could be bubbles trapped inside. I would test the temp sending unit to make sure it is sending a proper signal, and ensure the air is bled from the system. GL!

CCM302

Established Member
Thanks! I actually ended up figuring it out and found some other problems from the rebuild/upgrades from before I got it. The thermostat was installed backwards, the fan was wired backwards, and there was air in the system from me draining and refilling. After I corrected all of these isssues, I haven't seen the temp gauge read above the "R".

Users who are viewing this thread