haze and swirl marks in new paint

superman

Established Member
I need some help. I had my car painted last year (Black) and after i got it you could see haze all over the car. Actually it was painted twice. The guy buffed the car and it looked really good but after a couple of wash jobs the haze came back along with scratches. I put some polish on by hand and it made it worse. This was last July. The guy told me he would redo the car so i took it back last week and he did the hood. Looked really good but he had too buff some due to trash and it did the same thing (hazed and put scratches in it). Any ides of what is going on?:shrug:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Yeah two things most likely.

A) he doesn't know what he's doing with the polisher and is using either too aggressive a compound and/or a dirty or wool pad.

B) the repaint is probably soft as well, which is exacerbating his poor choice and execution in the polishing department.

Try finding a detailer in your area if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

http://www.autopia.org/find-professional-detailer/

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
washing and polishing are fine, some say wait 30,45 upto 90 days ive heard to wax to let the paint cure and harden 100%.

1SVT&1GT

Established Member
Sounds to me like during his wash process he is using either a wash mitt or towel that either has contamination it or is prone to put swirl/hazing in to your paint. Obviously the black paint is the worst color about doing this. (I have a black 07 GT that makes me lose my religion every so often) You could work like a dog getting the swirl marks and hazing out of the paint, but if you went back with a towel that wasn't 100% cotton or a cheap microfiber towel and used it to wipe off whatever abrasive you used to get them out, you'd put the swirl marks right back into the paint.

You can use a fine abrasive or something to remove those swirl marks or hazing but from what I have been told when I've had body work done to my stuff was no sealants/wax/acrylic polymers until 90-120 days to let the paint work fully cure out.

If I were you I would possibly find another person to wash it. It does not sound to me as if they are using the proper detail products to keep your paint in top condition.

Hope this helps......

superman

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the input. I guess i need to find a good detailer. Also you guys taught me a lot about detailing. No wax for at least 90 days and make sure you use a 100 % cotton cloth. What do you guys suggest on drying. I have always used a chamios- i hope i spelled it right. On a side note my car is being repainted this week.

1SVT&1GT

Established Member
Once you are able to put wax or glaze or sealants you will be able to blow off the car with a leaf blower and the water will come off easily. Until then find a 100% cotton towel that is preferably made in USA. (I know, I know, that is hard to find these days) I have been using the same towel I bought from Westpoint Stevens for almost 5-6 years now and it is getting rather worn out. :-( I'm really gonna hate it when this towel bites the dust.

I would utilize one of the nicer auto finish care websites out there like properautocare.com or autogeek.......or one of svtperformance.com's vendors if we have one here dedicated to those type products. Look at the reviews for the products you are interested in from real users....you won't go wrong.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
It was glazed out the whaaahoo and after it was washed it revealed all the bad polishing.

This.

Thanks guys for all the input. I guess i need to find a good detailer. Also you guys taught me a lot about detailing. No wax for at least 90 days and make sure you use a 100 % cotton cloth. What do you guys suggest on drying. I have always used a chamios- i hope i spelled it right. On a side note my car is being repainted this week.

I'd only wait the 90 days if the car is garaged. If it's not; put a glaze on it to begin with just so airborne contaminants don't stick to the paint as bad.

Drying:
DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" | Detailed Image

Better than cotton or an Absorber or Chamois. Only way to beat it is using compressed air or leaf blower.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I've found that Menzerna products work the best to remove haze and swirls. I've used the Megs professional line and Poorboys SSR but the Menzerna has gotten stuff out of paint with a PC that amazed me.

Users who are viewing this thread