Head Noise! Help!

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
Okay well I got it torn down to where the pics are now. I do not see anything that could be broken or messed up. Everyone posted that it was the timing chain tensioner when I posted the vid last time. Here is the vid again so you can hear the noise. Maybe someone can give me an idea what to look at or replace?

VID:
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/99-Cobra-Motor_146122.htm"]'99 Cobra Motor - Video[/ame]

PICS:
IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I haven't looked at any in while, but is the plastic cracked on your secondary tensioner (cam to cam). doubt that would cause that noise, but who knows.

otherwise, everything looks ok.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
have you pulled the filter to look for shavings? may be a bottom end noise with some sound travel

01 Venom

Established Member
sound does tend to travel on these things. Might as well replace the tensioners while you got it all ripped apart

cobraracer46

Banned
The offending engine noise sounds like a bad serpentine belt tensioner to me. Since you tore the engine covers off, I assume that you did not use a stesiscope to try and isolate the abnormal noise.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
The offending engine noise sounds like a bad serpentine belt tensioner to me. Since you tore the engine covers off, I assume that you did not use a stesiscope to try and isolate the abnormal noise.

That's what I first thought too! After the video ran it's length, it def sounded like it was coming from the driver side. I also don't think it's coming from as deep into the motor as you have disassembled. It almost sounds like something rubbing....a pulley/bracket. Check all the pulleys for "witness" maks for rubbing front and back.

A good method I use for locating noises is a long slim screwdriver and just touch the tip to a part or area to see how magnified the noise seems. Keep probing around until it's real loud and that should give you an idea as to what is making the noise.

Keep us posted as to what you find.

Last edited:

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
If I had to put my finger on it I would say its the tensioners. They tend to make alot of racket when bad but anything is possible. Can you compress the tensioner by hand?

If your going to replace the tensioners use the 05+ GT 3 valve tensioners. There plastic and a better design. Also there alot quieter. I dont think anyone mentioned this but if they did I must have missed it.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
If I had to put my finger on it I would say its the tensioners. They tend to make alot of racket when bad but anything is possible. Can you compress the tensioner by hand?

If your going to replace the tensioners use the 05+ GT 3 valve tensioners. There plastic and a better design. Also there alot quieter. I dont think anyone mentioned this but if they did I must have missed it.

I will have to try and compress it by hand. The car is out at my brothers so I will take a drive out there and check. I will post up in alittle.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member

I can't compress either by hand but the one on the drivers side seems to have alittle play in it. Could that cause anything?

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
So the car has been sitting for almost 3 years now. Just went to a shop today. waiting on a phone call to see what it is.........

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
Just got the call....one of the valve guides went bad. Ford want 6000.00+ to do the work. they said the motor has to be pulled to pull the drivers side head...is this true?

Sleepin96

Established Member
6000!!!???? screw that, you could prolly get a new engine and have it put in for that. Dealerships are such rip offs!

I have a very similar sound as well. I have never heard anything like it other than your video. It acts the same way yours does. If it's the tensioner that sucks cuz i don't wanna have to take that shit apart.

Brian

Last edited:

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
6000!!!???? screw that, you could prolly get a new engine and have it put in for that. Dealerships are such rip offs!

I have a very similar sound as well. I have never heard anything like it other than your video. It acts the same way yours does. If it's the tensioner that sucks cuz i don't wanna have to take that shit apart.

Brian

Getting to the tensioner isn't too bad. My brother jumped into it without know anything about 4v motors and had it torn down and replaced within a day.

Users who are viewing this thread