Head Porting

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
Hey guys I am having a my 03 Cobra fitted for a Hellion T-76 kit right now. I am also having a Lentech auto installed, built 8.8, and a fuel system done. My question for you is; Is it worth it to have the heads pulled and ported? Also I have read alot about guys having to replace the pistons, the more I read about it the more I get confused as to if it is needed or not. Can someone give me the no crap ported heads are ......much better or worse and why if we have forged pistons in the motor we are having to replace them. Thanks guys, Woody

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Porting is a better option to increase flow than cams in most cases.

The reason to change/upgrade pistons is that , although forged from Ford, they are on the lower-end quality-wise compared to other brands of forged pistons.

Redfire03

Established Member
You will only need to replace pistons and such if you are planning on going with alot of boost. Then again there is a Hellion 88mm kit running 9.2's on the stock motor.

Porting the heads will give you some power, but it all depends on what your goals for the car are. Money can be spent somewhere else more wisely.

DUMBASS

Banned
You will only need to replace pistons and such if you are planning on going with alot of boost. Then again there is a Hellion 88mm kit running 9.2's on the stock motor.

Porting the heads will give you some power, but it all depends on what your goals for the car are. Money can be spent somewhere else more wisely.

correction 8.95 but he has diamond pistons in it.

TRBO VNM

Woody,

your stock motor will be fine....as long as...

you have a good and safe tune and you don't push it on 93 octane. for example, I ran about 10-15# on the street with street tires and 93 octane. I used the same tune and ran over 20 at the track, but made sure I had higher octane fuel in the tank. either 110 or c16. I also ran low 11 a/f ratio and timing was about 15 degrees. keep things safe and don't try riding on the edge and you will be fine if your tuner knows what he is doing

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
Thanks alot guys for the info, and to give you a little bit of an update; I have decided to not pull a valve cover and place the money else where. I have bought the Hellion T-76 kit, I have had a custom Lentech tranny and TQ converter built, Bought Weld aluma Star 2.0s with 17s up front so I can still run the Cobra brakes, Of course the standard guages Fuel pressure, boost, and AFR, I also have a 98 rearend being built to go under it, and the exhaust will be taken care of (will have cut outs for the track). Doesn't sound like alot but man it has really hurt the wallet lol. I am hoping for some good times, again thanks for helping steer a newb in the right direction guys.

Users who are viewing this thread