Header gaskets that come with $1200 headers are garbage

Güero

Established Member
I ordered a pair of Kooks LT headers for my 99 cobra and the gaskets they give you are about to get thrown/given away. The holes on the gaskets aren't 100% lining up with the flange, i'd say 1/4" off. I ordered a set of Ford gaskets and i'll see if it's the shit gaskets they sent me or worst case...something isn't right with the flange. Sucks ass. Anyone else have any issues with anything similar?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 117

01yellercobra

Established Member
Most people I've talked to that run headers stick with stock gaskets. I would've ran the stock gaskets, but the Bassanis have their own style. I did manage to reuse the stock studs though.

Güero

Established Member
Most people I've talked to that run headers stick with stock gaskets. I would've ran the stock gaskets, but the Bassanis have their own style. I did manage to reuse the stock studs though.

Right. I was reading about using stock gaskets/stage 8 bolts. Sucks when you spend that much on something to turn around and have to buy a $25 set of gaskets and $60 bolts. I guess I could of tried and re-used the old ones but after reading how much fun it is to install headers, I’ll replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Headers are easy when you have a tubular k. UPR one is cheap and works well. Don't even need a arms or coilovers. No better time to do it than now.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yeah that one but you need to get the kit that includes the spring perches... or order them separately. The kit that is the K plus the perches is not on the website for some reason...

The part # is 2005-96S-SP, and it is $339.99

You have to call and order it most likely or email them and get an invoice. They have a 5% off code you can use at any time, it is SHAZAM. It's what I'm going with as soon as I get some fall/winter funds together to do it and the BMR A arms. Or you can use stock A arms.

Güero

Established Member
Ok now I see what you sayin. Just the K member. You just run your stock components with it?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You need the K and their spring cups to use the non-coilover stock springs. Yes other than that its a direct replacement. You can use stock A arms and everything if you want.

I'm not trying to spend your money or anything, but the K is gonna have to come out anyway, might as well put a tubular back in if you have the scratch so I just suggested it. Mild steel UPR is cheap, a good USA made product and mild steel is the better choice for a street car anyway.

Güero

Established Member
Got a package today...Ford Racing Gaskets=Way better.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
It has been covered a number of times on this and every other modular forum that you run the OEM gaskets with any header just as you run the OEM TOB with whatever clutch you put in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Agreed, although with the clutches if you get a good OEM supplier like Exedy or Valeo or Luk you can just use the TOB/Pilot that comes with them. But for the header gaskets yeah 100% go with OEM, even Fel Pro ones will leak after awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread