Header ideas? Long or short tubes?

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
Need a little help on a header selection. I am planning on buying ceramic-coated 1-5/8 headers but I don’t know whether to go long tube, shorty or equal length. I don’t want to cut anything, so I don’t know if I am limited, but I like the long tubes versus the others but if I can get comparable power with shorties or equals, I am game. I like the M.A.C. HTS coated long tubes because they are emissions legal, which I would like to try to keep, but I have heard that their quality lacks a bit. Also considering the BBK long tubes? Any ideas or combos that work great. My Cobra is a complete stocker but I would like to slowly upgrade all aspects of her. :bored:

Arod

sled

Established Member
you get what you pay for. the BBKs warp after awhile. then they start blowing headers gaskets. the macs start to rust. ive also used Kooks which are IMO the best out there. im running macs right now which seem to be pretty nice besides the rusting part.ill get kooks if these ever rust out. ill never buy the BBK's again.

93cobra#83

Established Member
shorties!

have BBK long tubes now... (they suck ballz)!!!

yes they warp, and then they leak, then they sound like crap, oh yea, lets not foret they make this awsome backfire sound!!! :bash: :bash:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
FRPP ceramic coated shorties :thumbsup:

I like the shorties over longtubes because they don't get in the way when doing clutch changes

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
What is the power difference between the shorties and long tubes? I have heard about the FRPP shorties somewhere on here as well and supposedly they fit great too. Is the power that the long tubes put out worth the install versus shorties? I had a 91 GT and installed a set of stainless shorties and the fit was real good and smooth but I was still longing to buy long tubes......but I dont know if they are the best choice for a mild setup. I am seriously confused :??: Any headers you guys very happy with?

Arod

cobra403

Established Member
had a friend with long tubes and he complained of the heat from them coming up through the floor,also a pain to install frpp is what i would go with.

~Ray~

Established Member
Long tubes make about 10 or more horsepower but they also sacrifice Torque alittle aswell, if your not going all out just go with a nice set of 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 Shorties, shorties sound better too if you ask me.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I made about 10 more hp and 15 tq when I switched from FRP 1 5/8 shorties to BBK 1 5/8 long tubes on my race car (approx 290-300 rwhp at the time). Whatever you get make sure that they have a single flange where they mate to the head as the likely hood of them warping goes WAY down. There is nothing worse than removing a header and having to use a crowbar to get it back in.

jhein2580

Established Member
93cobra#83 said:
have BBK long tubes now... (they suck ballz)!!!

yes they warp, and then they leak, then they sound like crap, oh yea, lets not foret they make this awsome backfire sound!!! :bash: :bash:

I have had my BBK long tubes for 4-5 years and the give me no troubles mechanically. However the ceramic coating sucks ass and if I was to do it again I would have the headers sent out for Jet Hot coating.

I like the long tubes over the shorts for sound, preformance, and looks. Plus regardless of what some girls might have told you..... "They like long ones over short ones...." :)

1993 Mustang

Established Member
I have the Mac long tubes, I second the comment look great in the beginning but in time they rust and look terribly, but I instantly felt the difference when I first put them on compared to the shorties.

buddha93

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I like the shorties over longtubes because they don't get in the way when doing clutch changes

Preach on Lee! I friggin hate long tubes on a street car! :xpl:

Don't get me wrong, the long tubes will out perform a shorty, but the little extra isn't worth the hassle IMO.

Do not get the MAC HTS coating! It is not a ceramic coating and will rust off in about a year. I'd stick with a unequal length shorty with a true ceramic coating......Jet Hot or the likes.

PJM99

Established Member
I'm going with the FRPP stainless ceramic coated shorties. They have no fitment issues at all from what I've heard and seen and I've never heard anyone complain about them warping. Stainless, so no rust issues.

PJM99

Established Member
They look great and fit great........

fms-m-9430-p51_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294908282+4294924761+4294880275&autoview=sku

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
To those who blow header gaskets w/ BBK's, use the right gasket and header bolts and that won't happen. I ran BBK shortys on my car for 5 yrs. and they were taken off quite a few times and I used the same header gaskets every time (FPP1415). I recently switched to BBK long tubes and am very happy. I've never had a header warp or blow gaskets. Sounds like an installation problem to me. I won't run ANYTHING MAC. Never have and never will.

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
IMO the FRPP ceramic shorty headers are by far the best I have had. I put a set of MAC Equal length shorties on my 95 Cobra and they were the biggest pain to put on!! Never again.... And yes their coating is crap. It's more like silver spray paint!! I had a set of BBK ceramic equal length shorties on my 93 Cobra when I got it and I just recently pulled them off because they were rusted and warped. When I pulled them off I lost all of my freon because they had rubbed a hole in my liquid line. I will never put a set of equal length headers on again.... I replaced them with a set of FRPP ceramic shorties and they look great and fit is perfect... I tape them up when installing them so I would not scratch them and there was no need. They drop right in with no problems... If you are not planning on some crazy amount of horsepower I would not use long tubes... Just not worth it... I also agree that the unequal shorties sound better... Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread