headers???

95lightning

Established Member
i was just wondering who has new headers on there gen 1 lightning, which ones, and do you see any improvement, cause some people have been saying they aren't getting any improvement in there gen 2, and if the samething is happening on the gen 1 then i really don't want to waste the money on headers if i don't need to. thanks.:-?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
• Take a look at how pinched the stock headers are....

• Now realize these are the same headers for the 5.0....

• Take a look at how many cats you have....

• Now realize these are the same on the 5.0...

• Take another look under the hood

• Now realize this is a 351, NOT a 5.0!!

Ditch the whole stock exhaust system for headers, off-road H, and a good cat-back, you'll notice the difference.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by SVT X 2
• Take a look at how pinched the stock headers are....

• Now realize these are the same headers for the 5.0....

• Take a look at how many cats you have....

• Now realize these are the same on the 5.0...

• Take another look under the hood

• Now realize this is a 351, NOT a 5.0!!

Ditch the whole stock exhaust system for headers, off-road H, and a good cat-back, you'll notice the difference.

Tims got a good point (for once anyways :D ) Ill have to side with him on that one, 5 good reasons to "upgrade" Youll be happy

-Zach

95lightning

Established Member
thanks a lot guys. i asked this question cause someone on flasvt.com told me i should ask that question, and i am glad so i know that i should get headers. once again thanks a lot.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Headers alone won't give a huge increase... but coupled with the absense of the cats, or at least hi-flow aftermarkets, will make the big brother Windsor shine. A cat-back is just desert to top it all off.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by 95lightning
thanks a lot guys. i asked this question cause someone on flasvt.com told me i should ask that question, and i am glad so i know that i should get headers. once again thanks a lot.
I thikn i have heard of that site before.....:D

wrightlightning

Established Member
95lightning,

I had a black '94 and I added the Bassani ceramic coated headers, Bassani x-pipe and flowmasters. I noticed a "nice" improvement over stock. I noticed a LOT of improvement after the shifts, where it allowed the engine to keep it's steam and not choke it down. I agree with SVT X 2 100%. You'll laugh when you see the stock headers off the truck. They are VERY restrictive. I am sure there are long tube designs out there now that would probably work even better.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I think someone does make a long-tube set up for the G1's but I can't remember who... I do think it was pretty spendy though (of course). It's not like you'll be disappointed in the shorties with a complete exhaust swap out though... litte easier to install too, if there is such a thing as easy on a header install. Then again, I'd sooner do it on the L as opposed to the Cobra.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Well how much do you have to spend?? I know the Bassani is just raved about, but it's also some of the most expensive exhaust out there. Myself, Lightning-wise if I am going to keep it (not sure), I guess I'd look at the FRPP headers as they are a good quality also, but I wanna say they only make an un-equal length shortie... wich is fine too. Then do you want an X or H pipe? Cats or no cats? Cats will cost you more. I prefer no cats. So I'm either gonna have a custom H bent up, or who makes that new universal X that you custom bend pipes from? The name slips me right now... anyways, I would think of that also. Lightning exhaust is more expensive than Mustang exhaust, wich sucks.

95lightning

Established Member
i am getting a bassani x-pipe, i don't think i am going to get cats but i am not sure yet, i have been looking for long headers but i can't find any so i am most likely going to go for the shorties from bassani. can you guys tell me what the ceramic coat does. i would guess it keeps the hearders cooler but i am not sure. and that is as far as i have gotten. so any more input who help out. :smmon:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Now... I haven't gotten headers since I used to mess around with an '89 GT back in '92-'93 and headers have advanced in coatings since then. Yes ceramic keeps the heat down... but I've also heard of people coating the inside of the headers and it escapes me as to the reason for this... maybe that's just a long-tube thing, as I ran across this researching LT's for the Cobra.

I swear I've seen LT's for the L, but can't remember where...

95lightning

Established Member
yeah if anyone knows what the name of the company is that makes the LT's for a 95 lightning can you PLEASE tell me. i have been serching everywhere. :xxplode:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Seen your post over there... I knew I'd seen LT's for 'em before.

Those guys got some bad azz L's on that site!

John O'Donal

I have seen and heard alot of combinations for these trucks, I decided on my own combination that was rust proof and very free flowing.
I went with the Bassani Headers (w/HPC), Bassani X pipe with Cats, and Borla NasCar exhaust.
Not really loud, It is more deep sounding.
and very strong mid/upper range
e40d

John O'Donal

Yes it does, you can also see it in this photo..and it will last forever or atleast 1,000,000 miles...
John
Chromed.jpg

01blkL

Established Member
headers

I have a set of hooker long tubes on my truck ceramic coated. They were 547.00. They were worth every penney.

Users who are viewing this thread