headlight/foglight laws

89lxfoxbody

20 second club
Established Member
just wondering if there are any headlight or foglight laws. Seems like there have been alot of guys around here getting the big 4x4 trucks and putting 2 sets of aftermarket foglights on the front bumper or somewhere else and running the stock foglights making 3 sets of foglights along with their headlights and then they have 2 of the KC lights on top running. Is this legal to run on the road? Because needless to say it blinds the crap out of you. Thanks

SE01

Established Member
In CT, you are allowed to have one set of primary headlights and one set of auxiliary lights. Anything more and you could be out $93.

200gt

Established Member
I do not know about there, but here in Ga. It is up to the officers descrection beacause he has the ability to write a ticket for anything that deviates from OEM equipment. Tickets written for wrong colored lighting, non DOT approved lighting as well as various other small things (i.e. lowering kits, larger rims and tires or anything other than factory components ) are all grounds for the officer to give out a ticket

BajaBoy

Established Member
hm i have offroad lights/fogs on my jeep in NJ i think we have to have covers on any extra lighting? im not sure about that one but i know we can not have any light above the bumper lit, on the roads.

one night i had my stock fog/low beems on and some prick pulled over flipping out at me.. people

btw, i dont have covers/no one has said anything to me yet

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
In Illinois, I received a ticket for having my driving/fog lights on in my IROC Camaro. The judge said that as long as the lights are able to be turned off with a switch, they get the same treatment as brights.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
When I lived in OK for 2 years they used to pull me over for running with fog lights on. They always wrote it as "Failure to dim." Never a ticket, just warnings. I thought it was pretty dumb, but who am I to say. I just know they stopped me anytime I had them on.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Everyone drives with their headlights and foglights on around here. Even in the daytime- it gets annoying. I only use my fogs when I absolutely need them. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for fogs on in my area, except for when they drive with fogs and no headlights on at night.

stevieb

Established Member
I think thee whole fog/driving light issue is out of control. They sell these things on every kind of car these days, and people think its alright to drive with them on all the time. I guess they dont remember the question on their driving tests to dim lights when you approach another car within 1k feet. They think theyre cool, but theyre nothing but a royal pita.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
It's pretty dumb...
I think in BC it's just one set of extra auxilary lights and it can't be offroad use only lights...
We also have daytime running lights intro'd on al 1991 cars up here, not sure if you guys have it - the lights are on as soon as you remove the parking brake and run @75% of the normal low beam light output
However alot of cars use parking lights instead of the low beams
and the taillights are always off
Do you have that in the US?

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
stevieb said:
I think thee whole fog/driving light issue is out of control. They sell these things on every kind of car these days, and people think its alright to drive with them on all the time. I guess they dont remember the question on their driving tests to dim lights when you approach another car within 1k feet. They think theyre cool, but theyre nothing but a royal pita.
I have mine on anytime the headlights are on. If somebody flashes their lights at me, I will shut them off. I personally don't think they are that bright to begin with, but they cover the lower corner areas pretty good where the headlights miss. I think the HID lights are 1000x worse than foglights will ever be, but that doesn't stop people from installing them, or having them as OEM on new cars :dw:

SVTCobra3212

Banned
200gt said:
I do not know about there, but here in Ga. It is up to the officers descrection beacause he has the ability to write a ticket for anything that deviates from OEM equipment. Tickets written for wrong colored lighting, non DOT approved lighting as well as various other small things (i.e. lowering kits, larger rims and tires or anything other than factory components ) are all grounds for the officer to give out a ticket

That SUCKS! :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread