Headlight issue

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone can help out with this problem I've had.

Since I've had the truck my right Headlight would go out every so often and it would just need to be played around with to be fixed.

Last weekend I go out to use the truck and I turn on the lights and the right one does not work, I try the usual tricks but it does not work. I switched to High beams and it works.....anyone have any idea what it could be?

Bulb going out? Bad Harness? F@*ked up connector?

Sidenote : Also what is the wire you guys jump over so that the fogs work with the corner lights?

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
Your headlight connector has three wires; ground, low beam 12volts, and high beam 12 volts. If you use to be able to move it around and make it work, I would guess that there is now an open on your low beam 12 volt wire where it meets the connector or inside the connector. You can get a replacement connector from Ford.

Do a search for the fog light mod. All you have to do is connect 2 wires together behind the headlight switch. I forgot which ones the are, I'm sure someone will post them.

N A Rush

Established Member
Do a search for the fog light mod. All you have to do is connect 2 wires together behind the headlight switch. I forgot which ones the are, I'm sure someone will post them.

Brown wire jumped to the yellow wire. Just run a jumper wire from one to the other and it will power the fogs with the parking light circuit. Brown wire is the park lamp circuit and the yellow wire is the power feed to the fog light switch.

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
Your headlight connector has three wires; ground, low beam 12volts, and high beam 12 volts. If you use to be able to move it around and make it work, I would guess that there is now an open on your low beam 12 volt wire where it meets the connector or inside the connector. You can get a replacement connector from Ford.

Know the part number for the connector? And how would I install it? Just cut out the old one and splice in the new one?

I took the bulbs out and switched them around and they worked fine so I looked at the connector and a bit of it seemed to be broken on the inside where the bulb plugs in.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Know the part number for the connector? And how would I install it? Just cut out the old one and splice in the new one?

I took the bulbs out and switched them around and they worked fine so I looked at the connector and a bit of it seemed to be broken on the inside where the bulb plugs in.
I you do have to splice a new connector in, don't use crimp connectors.
Crimps are easier, but prone to developing a bad electrical connection in a short time when it's exposed to the elements.
Instead, solder and cover all the spliced connections with heat shrink and maybe another layer of black electrical tape. The connections will resist moisture much longer that way.
Just a tip to make electrical splices reliable for a long time.

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
Is it broken inside the connector? If so you should be able to take the plastic connector apart, release to metal wire end and crimp a new metal connector on the wire. You should(?) be able to get it from Ford. Most car manufacturers have electric boxes (like tackle boxes) full of all the male/female ends that go on the ends of wires. Or, go to a junk yard and cut a harness off another Ford car. Take a headlight bulb from your L with you to make up the proper end. Solder and heat shrink your wires.

Users who are viewing this thread