heads and cam??

RALPH R

Established Member
Hey everyone, I have been saving up for mods and finally have put together $5000 to spend on my truck. I was thinking about doing a stage 2 heads and cam combo with a ported eaton and other supporting mods on my stock block. I would like to know if this setup is any good on a stock block and who makes the best heads and cams, I was thinking going with Patriot but still not sure. My truck is a DD also so I would also like to know if they are reliable, I have done alot of searching and really couldnt find what I was looking for so dont bust my hump with the search comments too much LOL. Thanks in advance guys.

qk01lightning

Established Member
Your on the right track(except the p.e.)i have a 01 and after 3 years of running a 75 shot nitrous(529 rwh and 703 rwt 100% stock block and eaton)i had the infamous passenger side head gasket leak so i decided to sell the nitrous and go with ported heads/cams and a magnum supercharger w/ 17 psi on street and 20 psi @ track still stock block).i have had issues with my old chip and belt slip so my best time at the track in the 1/8 mile is a 7.7 my best with the nitrous was 7.5(concistant 7.6-7.7)i just got my xcall2 from jj at woodbine last week and installed my new idler setup with smaller belt so hopefully i will have new times soon.in your case you have a little more to spend then i did so i would do the ported heads and cams with a kenne bell 2.3(although i am really happy with my m.p. and its more affordable)my heads i got from dante at dmp (tell him nitrous chris said whats up)(619)474-8675 they were stage 3 patriots with stage 2 cams and he also uses a custom 110 lb spring that really work awsome.and think he has a package deal for all assembled for around 22-2300.you can find a deal on a used kb for 2000 or even buy a new for 2500.however if you wanted to save a little cash go with a m.p.used around 1000 new 1600.my prgram from jj (410)259-8737 feels awsome and i think he has one of the best reputation for mail order tunes,my truck pulls just as hard if not harder than my tune i had done on the dyno(although the real test will be at the track)unless you have a tuner locally you trust than of course use them.good luck either way you go.

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
here is the problem, it is very diffucult to change the heads while the motor is in the truck, I know some have, but most will pull the motor becasue, well it will take less time, so there is a good chunk of money in labor to pull the motor

there is plenty of research on TALONclubs website by Mark#2, he has been running a 2.3 KB for 5+ years now and runs a consistant 11.4-11.5, he also has headers, 60# injectors, 255 fuel pumps, etc but he is still running a stock longblock for 5+ years at roughly 18#'s of boost

So I would suggest get a 2.3 KB or Whipple, and supporting mods like headers, pumps, injectors, MAF, etc

but to he his own

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
If you are serious about going fast you will eventually need to upgrade the shortblock. I would get a larger blower and some supporting mods at this time. Have a bunch of fun with the truck and save for a built motor install down the road,
The cost of doing heads and cams, and the risk of rod failure that exists, would make me wait on the heads.
Jim

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If keeping stock block-do cams and springs only, you'll still gain @60 rwhp when properly retuned.

If doing heads-do the entire engine, if not the power will be short lived and you'll be back in there anyways. Do a search for "heads" "cams" "springs" and you'll find hours of reading.

Users who are viewing this thread