Heads/Cam c6 z06 vs. E85 CTS-V

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
Little fun after Cars & Coffee this morning. Mexico coffee shops ftw.

[video=youtube;SYmwv-L7yYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmwv-L7yYQ[/video]

Troponin

Established Member
Do you know how many times I have read on different Mustang forums/pages that the CTS-V isn't all that fast and that it's not even close to being in the same class as a vette? Of course not, dummy, it's a luxury sports car, but damn it certainly does do some amazing things for a 4 door!! Even its track times have broken in to "supercar" territory

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
Do you know how many times I have read on different Mustang forums/pages that the CTS-V isn't all that fast and that it's not even close to being in the same class as a vette? Of course not, dummy, it's a luxury sports car, but damn it certainly does do some amazing things for a 4 door!! Even its track times have broken in to "supercar" territory

Yea, I agree. I'm a mustang fan (previous car was a SC'd s197), but I've grown to realize how quick these V's are with minimal mods...while still driving like a stock Caddy. With that said, the new GT500 motors impress me more than the LSA: Intake, pulleys, and exhaust and they're making 700rwhp+ on pump gas. Impressive, imo. I have a mild cam, e85, and a maxed out blower and haven't been able to break 700rwhp.

Local here has a 2013 GT500 with a little over 700rwhp....our traps are identical and I might ET 1 or 2 tenths faster.

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
Also, a 40 roll is the sweet spot for my car. Lets me use 2nd gear while pretty high in the revs. He says a 40 roll sucks in the z06. We'll probably do a 60 roll rematch....as well as with his nitrous. I'm thinking he is going to yank me pretty bad on the spray.

1.8t

Established Member
What is the elevation where you are at? N/A cars struggle more so at altitude than F/I cars.

ian04

Established Member
Also, a 40 roll is the sweet spot for my car. Lets me use 2nd gear while pretty high in the revs. He says a 40 roll sucks in the z06. We'll probably do a 60 roll rematch....as well as with his nitrous. I'm thinking he is going to yank me pretty bad on the spray.

i have a bolton Z06 35-40 is kill zone in 1st gear i dont the z guy can drive do u know the trap speed on ur ctsv it sounds amazing

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
Here is the same z06 (same mods) vs. a 720rwhp GT500 KR.

[video=youtube;pSlOSxjbO6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSlOSxjbO6o[/video]

[video=youtube;ltjx9ojDcSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjx9ojDcSY[/video]

[video=youtube;IDq6ZfTuUYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDq6ZfTuUYo[/video]

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
those races seem way more closer to how they should be damn ur ctsv hauls ass then but i dont know much about elevation a mile high is high im about 800 foot above sea level where i live

Yea, mile high elevation *definitely* sucks up a lot of power...more than 100rwhp for a car at my power level.

But, the difference between blower and NA loss isn't as big as many people believe. An NA car loses a solid 1 second up here, where my car loses about 8 tenths or so. So yea, it might be a bit closer if these 2 cars ran at sea level....but shouldn't be a significant difference. Now, an electronically controlled wastegate on a turbo car with enough turbo to make up for altitude is a different story. Turbo cars *generally* see closer sea level vs. altitude 1/4 mile numbers....of course, that depends upon a several factors.

UBNZO6D

Life-long Hot Rodder
Established Member
it's been my experience that because of the weight difference that the C6 (sold) will yank a Mustang with 150 more HP.

Greg

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It doesn't add up. Going by those races, your car would DESTROY the Mustang even though the Mustang is making more power and weighs less?

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
It doesn't add up. Going by those races, your car would DESTROY the Mustang even though the Mustang is making more power and weighs less?

They probably did a higher roll. I'd bet my car and the z06 would be a lot closer from a 60 roll. Like mentioned, the z06 and my car trap within a couple mph. A real race (dig) and preferably at the track would be the best way to compare all these cars :)

Last edited:

6.0GTO

Established Member
Yea, mile high elevation *definitely* sucks up a lot of power...more than 100rwhp for a car at my power level.

But, the difference between blower and NA loss isn't as big as many people believe. An NA car loses a solid 1 second up here, where my car loses about 8 tenths or so. So yea, it might be a bit closer if these 2 cars ran at sea level....but shouldn't be a significant difference. Now, an electronically controlled wastegate on a turbo car with enough turbo to make up for altitude is a different story. Turbo cars *generally* see closer sea level vs. altitude 1/4 mile numbers....of course, that depends upon a several factors.
's

Great point. I am in the same situation as you with Denver and Bandimere where DA's get over 8500. One thing I have noticed with my two previous turbo cars was when the boost came in. Compared to being in San Diego my boost in Denver was 1000 rpm behind. Meaning at 3,000 rpm at sea level I would see 15psi and in Denver I would need 4,000 rpm to attain that same 15 psi. I am back in a turbo car with the RS6 so I'm happy. AWD and temps in the 20's the car is running awesonme.

All of my normally aspirated cars that I have dyno'd here have had a 19% or 20% correction factor.

Last edited:

ExpatMedic

Slowpoke
Established Member
's

Great point. I am in the same situation as you with Denver and Bandimere where DA's get over 8500. One thing I have noticed with my two previous turbo cars was when the boost came in. Compared to being in San Diego my boost in Denver was 1000 rpm behind. Meaning at 3,000 rpm at sea level I would see 15psi and in Denver I would need 4,000 rpm to attain that same 15 psi. I am back in a turbo car with the RS6 so I'm happy. AWD and temps in the 20's the car is running awesonme.

All of my normally aspirated cars that I have dyno'd here have had a 19% or 20% correction factor.

Yea, altitude sucks for numbers, right?!

Bandimere is a little higher than our track, but it's usually a bit colder. I notice our DA's seem to be pretty much the same...sometimes bandimere is higher, sometimes we are. I've seen nearly 9000ft during the warmer months :O

A few weeks ago when I finally got me a 10.99 the DA was 'great' at 6700ft, lol. One of these days I need to get out to Texas or Arizona and see what it can do with some sea level DA's. My guess is a 10.2 with some great weather.

ian04

Established Member
Yea, altitude sucks for numbers, right?!

Bandimere is a little higher than our track, but it's usually a bit colder. I notice our DA's seem to be pretty much the same...sometimes bandimere is higher, sometimes we are. I've seen nearly 9000ft during the warmer months :O

A few weeks ago when I finally got me a 10.99 the DA was 'great' at 6700ft, lol. One of these days I need to get out to Texas or Arizona and see what it can do with some sea level DA's. My guess is a 10.2 with some great weather.

wow ya my bolt on 500whp c6z does 11.2s at 128 hell it ran the standing half mile at 158 in chicago this summer with temps in the 90s im spoiled lol

Users who are viewing this thread