Heads Mustang GT

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Don or Jimbo or mikie anyone know if 1998 Mustang GT heads would work on my '95 Mercury Grand Marquis???? any info would be greatly appreciated, also if I had them ported an polished any ideas of horsepower numbers after the install, thanks!!

-ZAch

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If it is sporting the 4.6 it is a MODULAR motor. Hence most parts are interchangeable from one mod motor to another. You would benefit from swaping the intakes as well. Might get you around 40HP. Just a guess though, since you didn't say if you were using the 98GT cams etc.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
yeah its a 4.6 mod motor, wow 40hp eh, might be worth it
you cant afford to do it, but learn about your vehicle chebby boy ;-)
you might as well go with the PI heads

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Don or Jimbo or mikie anyone know if 1998 Mustang GT heads would work on my '95 Mercury Grand Marquis???? any info would be greatly appreciated, also if I had them ported an polished any ideas of horsepower numbers after the install, thanks!!

-ZAch
It would void your warranty, if any...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by BigVito

you cant afford to do it, but learn about your vehicle chebby boy ;-)
you might as well go with the PI heads

Think he's trying to talk Joel outta his old stuff. ;-)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
how would he get 40hp?? aren't the 4.6s (excluding cobra and 99+ PIs) just like the Car 302s?? Same heads, but different intake tract ad cam(s)? So i don't understand how he would get 40hp?

Originally posted by GR8WHITE
If it is sporting the 4.6 it is a MODULAR motor. Hence most parts are interchangeable from one mod motor to another. You would benefit from swaping the intakes as well. Might get you around 40HP. Just a guess though, since you didn't say if you were using the 98GT cams etc.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
So are you saying Ill have to change the intake and cam to net 40 horsepower??? I think the Grand monkeys horsepower was tune down because of the exhaust silencers and such.......

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
IIRC too, the reason you cannot S/C the 98 and later (not sure tho what the year is) is because the TB points towards the rear of the car.

Also your GM probably has the 'same' 4.6 as the TBird which IIRC was rated at 205hp, vs the GTs 225.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
how would he get 40hp?? aren't the 4.6s (excluding cobra and 99+ PIs) just like the Car 302s?? Same heads, but different intake tract ad cam(s)? So i don't understand how he would get 40hp?

Heck no. The 4.6 in the F150 is different than the GT. The F-150 and the crown vic/Grand Marquis also have different cams and intakes. The heads might bolt down the same way, but they are different. Different applications. F-150 Towing, CV/GM gas mileage, GT performance.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
GR8,

I understand different cams, but the heads themselves are the same correct? Otherwise, how can the say 96-97 TBirds have a hp rating of 205ish (IIRC) and the GT have a 225? Intake and Cams. Not the WHOLE head itself correct? My thinking is, it would be cheaper and more feasible to just swap out cams & intake tract maybe...not the whole head itself. seems like more work than what its worth.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member

-ZAch

He's talking about porting a set of GT heads to put on his Grand Marquis. It will be easier to port and polish an extra set to keep the car on the road till time to swap. Ask Joel about his down time. It gets out of hand sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread