Heads, Never thought of this..

03CobraRed

Established Member
Quick question.

When I am doing my motor in the very near future what should I do to make sure my heads are ok?

Besides the obvious looking for wear or anything out of the ordinary?

jlg32281

Established Member
You can put a square on them to make sure they're still straight. As far as checking out the other stuff, not real sure how you could do. Maybe you could get a micrometer and measure all of your clearances. I suggest having a good head job done though. If you're going to be in there, you might as well have them redone too. I would replace all wearable parts. This is pretty pricy at a shop but you can do it yourself, it's just tedious. Break it down and if it needs to be resurfaced or any other machine work, take it in and have it resurfaced but you can do the rest of it yourself.

Albino Snake

Established Member
If you are building a new short block for the car you are going to want to get a valve job done on those heads while they are off the car. MMR charges 850 for a stage three port, and includes valve job, etc..:rockon: I don't know how many miles you have on the car, but I would not recommend putting those heads back on top of a freshly built block with out a valve job, etc..

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I would get the whole thing done by someone who knows what htey are doing, valve job, new springs, etc., if you dont have money for that just have them looked over

Users who are viewing this thread